Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Coil Over Help

engine24355

Need some help regarding adjusting coil overs. My T has coil overs on all four corners and I am trying to adjust the front ones to gain a little more clearance on the front end (sits low). Using a coil over wrench I adjusted the passanger shock by 3 rounds just fine, but on the driver side I got 1 1/4 turns in before it locked up on me. Without forcing the issue, is there a trick to adjusting coil overs? I have always just turned the spring rings, but this set up looks to have two rings. Any thoughts?

BTW - The coil overs are QA1's.

It adjust the same way jack up the front with the coil over unloaded and loosen the top ring then adjust the bottom to the height you want then tighten the top ring to the bottom it works as a jam nut.

speedkills502 said:
It adjust the same way jack up the front with the coil over unloaded and loosen the top ring then adjust the bottom to the height you want then tighten the top ring to the bottom it works as a jam nut.

Thanks for the help Speed, but a little unclear on "top" vs "bottom" in your message. I am pretty sure what you mean, but just wanted to clarify. The coil overs I am adjusting have the spring cap at the top and two adjusting rings on the bottom of the spring. I assume you mean loosen the bottom (smaller ring not touching the spring), then adjust the top (biggger ring touching the spring) to the height I want. Then tighten the bottom ring to secure the top (jam nut). Is ths correct or am I totally off here?

engine24355 said:
I assume you mean loosen the bottom (smaller ring not touching the spring), then adjust the top (biggger ring touching the spring) to the height I want. Then tighten the bottom ring to secure the top (jam nut). Is ths correct or am I totally off here?
Yep, that's the way to do it. I have four of them suckers on my Jag rear-end!!

Anyone know how to replace a coil over bearing (ball type bearing in top and bottom mounting points)? I took the retaining rings out, but not sure how to get actual bearing out and do not want to break (again...lol). Any advice?

Thanks!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back