Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Help me decide next step

cwinesette

Hello everyone. This is my second post so bear with me.

I am building a bucket using what I can from Ron at RPM. He has been so helpful. We finally decided on what it is I'm getting from him and I could really use your help. While I'm working on getting the deposit I wanted to start pricing out what else it is I need to order to complete the project. Here is what I'm getting from Ron.

- Stretch frame with brackets and tabs for front and rear suspension, motor and trans mounts.
- 4" drop axle kit, includes brakes, spindles, steering arms and tie rod w end.
- vega steering box
- pitman arm
- drag link w ends
- rear suspension kit, chrome coil over shocks, radius rods, panhard bar, brackets for rear
- Used S-10 rear end with above brackets welded on....
- 10" stretch body no door
- turtle deck, or 20" bed w cover.

I am a spreadsheet guy so I'm wanting to list out what else it is I need to order. Here is what I have so far.

- Engine 350SB (depending on what I can find used what do I need with it?)
- Transmission 700r4 (same)
- Wheels / Tires
- Brakes (what is it that I need that is not included?)
- Dash
- Instruments
- Seat (since I'm taller at 6.3" what is a good recommendation so that I sit in the bucket in and on top of it?)
- Gas Tank (and lines)
- Lights
- Front suspension (anything missing from RPM?)
- Rear suspension (same)
- Windshield and frame (Is there a split window design)
- Radiator (and ??)
- Pedals
- ?
-?

I could really use recommendations in these areas (or any that I am missing). I'm wearing the search out and will add to this as I go.

Thanks everyone for your help and input.

Steering column , floor material a fiberglass , brake lines ,hoses , ignition ,headers ,mufflers Ill keep thinking interior material , shifter master cylinder.
Dave
Wiring

2old2fast Thanks for the quick reply. To break it down can you help with a few specifics?

- recommend steering column (is there one from another car that works of does it have to be a certain length?)
- same question with the master cylinder

Steering column is determined by St.box placement. Seating position , where it feels comfortable . most newer columns have too much junk on them , aftermarket is easyist . mc depends on what brakes you're using.

Dave

Depending on the engine you find, you may need an intake manifold, distributor, wires, and carb. Most of the small blocks left in the salvage yards are EFI. You may get lucky and find a carbed engine, though. Spend more to get a good engine if you're buying used. Rebuilding costs are high. Goodwrench SBC crate engines are available from Summit and Jeg's for around $1500 with free shipping. The Vortec replacement engines are around $2100 They give you a roller cam with no lifter issues.

Don't order an intake until you get the engine. There are 3 different bolt patterns and you need to know what you have.

If you get a roller cam GM engine the distributor gear has to be a "Mellonized" gear. You'll wear the cam out with the wrong gear.

The 700R will need a throttle valve cable. Lokar sells an adjustable one that works well. It's what I put on mine. The carb will probably need a 700R specific cable bracket. It's very important that the cable is pulled the right distance for the amount of throttle opening. Most carb manufacturers have these brackets available.

If you have to supply rear brakes, I would recommend disc brakes. T's stop much better with good rear brakes. They're heavier in the back than you think.

Ron's stretch body looks similar in the cowl to a 27. A Duvall split windshield frame may may fit, but I doubt it. I think Speedway sells one.

You'll need an alternator and bracket, wiring harness, switches, battery box and battery cables.

You will need to know if have a short or long water pump to get the right pulleys and alt. bracket.

I'd use a TH350 or TH400 just to make life easier. The 700 has that wascally TV cable. More junk to clutter your engine and your brain.

The 400 is just a beefed-up 350. GM put it in their trucks. Mine has 20 years on it and will probably outlive me. Oh, don't bother with a tranny cooler. I just did 600 miles on the Interstate and the tranny never got over 190°. I think tranny coolers are a Commie plot to pollute our precious mechanical fluids.

Interior and seats. I redid my interior recently:
2012%2Bredo1.jpg

Those are office chairs from Sam's Club, $80 on sale. Left off the arms and base, bolted them to a wood box. Super comfortable. Come in high or low back versions, colors, etc. from a bunch of online places.
bucket%2Bplan001.jpg

Sitting w/your butt that far from the back of the body , you must have short legs
dave
No! I'm 6-1 and fooled around with the seating position until it was just what I liked. The recline is important; it shifts some weight from your tailbone to your thighs. I do have a stretch body (CCR), which is a must for anyone of tallish persuasion. The pic above is to scale.

Interior and seats. I redid my interior recently:
2012%2Bredo1.jpg

Those are office chairs from Sam's Club, $80 on sale. Left off the arms and base, bolted them to a wood box. Super comfortable. Come in high or low back versions, colors, etc. from a bunch of online places.
bucket%2Bplan001.jpg

Seating is something I've been playing with lately...to no avail. Are your seats the high or low back version? Since I'm planning on a tonneau cover, I don't want the seatbacks above the body lip. Do you know what angle the top of your wood riser is?

Unfortunately I do not have one of Ron's bodies. Mine is of unknown origin. I'm at least the 2nd owner, and the previous got it from a swap meet. Plus what ever I do it has to be of heavy duty construction...fat old disabled troll, here.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back