Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

coilover question

Tundrajax

right now i cant afford coilover from speedway and i havent found anything on craigslist, hopefully this sunday i can find something at the swap meet but if not why cant i use a pair of Monroe coilover load adjuster shocks? any help would be great
part number 58241 price 69.99 for pair
specs

• Extended Length (In): 14-3/8 Inch
  • Compressed Length (In): 9-3/4 Inch
  • Travel Length (In): 4-5/8 Inch
  • Type: Load Adjusting
  • Upper Mount Type: Loop Bushing
  • Lower Mount Type: Loop Bushing And Sleeve

For set up make a shock substitute to progress with the build and get the shocks when you can. Don't sacrifice the build for $150 part now.

For set up make a shock substitute to progress with the build and get the shocks when you can. Don't sacrifice the build for $150 part now.
thats what i figured it would be good for the setup and maybe driving around the block. by no means would they be a permanent solution. also these shock i listed are for a chevy c10

I don't know the extent of your fabrication skills, but if you are handy with torch, grinders, and welder you could do something like the ones on the front of my Track-T. I bought some springs on Ebay and a pair of front shocks for a Pinto at the local parts store and made these (pic attached). The Pinto/Mustang II shocks have a rubber snubber built in. I got 4 springs with adjusters (for Honda Civic) for something like $48 and the shocks for about $30. All the bracketry was fab'd by me for this specific application. You may need softer springs if you are using them on the rear, but the principle would be the same.

DCP02362.JPG DCP02389.JPG

I don't know the extent of your fabrication skills, but if you are handy with torch, grinders, and welder you could do something like the ones on the front of my Track-T. I bought some springs on Ebay and a pair of front shocks for a Pinto at the local parts store and made these (pic attached). The Pinto/Mustang II shocks have a rubber snubber built in. I got 4 springs with adjusters (for Honda Civic) for something like $48 and the shocks for about $30. All the bracketry was fab'd by me for this specific application. You may need softer springs if you are using them on the rear, but the principle would be the same.

How's the ride quality with your suspension setup?

I drove my old T Bucket for a few years on these shocks. They were actually comfortable. In fact, the only difference between the QA-1's, I finally got later, was the price and look. I almost went with them for my present build.

Sorry for the delay in replying; I just now found your question... My Track-T has the homemade coilovers on the front and quarter-elliptic leaf springs on the rear. The front is fairly stiff, but the car only weighs 1630 pounds. The good news is that the passenger compartment in a T-bucket is closer to the rear axle, so passenger comfort is more closely related to rear spring/shock stiffness. If I was using these homemade coilovers on the rear I would look for softer springs.

One thing you might consider is the coilovers off of motorcycles. A friend of mine built a '27 T roadster (about 30 years ago) with 4 rear coilovers off of Honda 750 motorcycles. It rode pretty nice.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back