Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cold weather

hulkamania

Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
I hope everyone that is getting all the snow plus the cold weather with the negative wind chills to stay safe and warm. I pray that the people that have to be in this weather stay safe. Just hope everyone looks after each other during these cold times. I know here in Arkansas we are suppose to have some mighty cold win chills. Us

Supposed to be a little chilly here. Now it is 12 below they are talking 34 below tonight. 14 below tomorrow for a high.

We were thawing frozen heater pipes last night. No heat upstairs all day. Winter is FUN! Not!

32 below right now. Off to get semi trucks at work started. Not all are inside.

It's -17 outside, wind chill is -40 we got 17" of snow Thur/Fri, 6" Sat and 6.5" Sun. The wind is creating white outs at times, I've gone through 6 gallons of gas on my snowblower in the last 4 days. People ask me why I have a 34" 13hp snowblower and I tell them it's because they don't make anything bigger. The snow is so deep my 70lb Lab and 45lb Border Collie can't get through it, I had to blow out a section of the yard so they could go potty. The town just called saying they have a broken water main and our water may be shut off. Tell me again about global warming.

We've had a run of cold here too. As I said we spent Saturday night looking for a frozen heat pipe (no heat upstairs all day). Finally found it and thawed it with heat guns. We've been here for almost 20 years and that has never happened before. Time for some anti-freeze.

Some of the local plumbers here are conscienceless! Initially I called one to come (because the pipe was buried in a front wall) and thaw the pipe because I heard most have one of those electric pipe heater thingys, like a welder. You don't have to actually locate the frozen spot. They have a $150 service call fee plus whatever it takes. I say ok. How much could it be, right? Well, the guy shows up and tells me that for $480 (plus the $150 fee) he will point a salamander heater at the front of the house for an hour! No guarantees! If after one hour it doesn't work, I'm out the $630! Are you kidding me??!! When it's 8 degrees out, can you imagine how long it will take to heat the house enough for the heat to penetrate the siding, sheathing, insulation then reach the pipe and thaw it?? I was SO angry!! It cost me $150 for him to tell me that. Some people just prey on the weak and vulnerable with no conscience. Shameful. Ok, rant over...

We've had a run of cold here too. As I said we spent Saturday night looking for a frozen heat pipe (no heat upstairs all day). Finally found it and thawed it with heat guns. We've been here for almost 20 years and that has never happened before. Time for some anti-freeze.

Some of the local plumbers here are conscienceless! Initially I called one to come (because the pipe was buried in a front wall) and thaw the pipe because I heard most have one of those electric pipe heater thingys, like a welder. You don't have to actually locate the frozen spot. They have a $150 service call fee plus whatever it takes. I say ok. How much could it be, right? Well, the guy shows up and tells me that for $480 (plus the $150 fee) he will point a salamander heater at the front of the house for an hour! No guarantees! If after one hour it doesn't work, I'm out the $630! Are you kidding me??!! When it's 8 degrees out, can you imagine how long it will take to heat the house enough for the heat to penetrate the siding, sheathing, insulation then reach the pipe and thaw it?? I was SO angry!! It cost me $150 for him to tell me that. Some people just prey on the weak and vulnerable with no conscience. Shameful. Ok, rant over...
Well the poor fella has to make a killing, oops I mean a living. But I wonder where they get these rates from or the nerve to charge them!!LOL is all you can do sometimes because if you killed them you couldn't eat them. Much to tough !!!

It's not fair that the whole state of Alaska is warmer than the middle US. -8 here in St. Louis now.

That's like the joke about the Doctor that had a small leak in a pipe in his basement. He called a plumber to fix it. The plumber charged $500.00 for the repair. The Doctor said" I'm a Doctor and I don't charge that much". The Plumber says" yeah, when I was a Doctor I didn't charge that much either".

Many things we can fix ourselves. Then some times you just bend over and take it.

This is our first winter in this house,water pipe froze last night. I am going to a neighbor to get enough to flush and cook with.For several years we lived in a Fifth Wheel ,just hook up and movve ahead of the cold and storms. I don't like just setting here waiting for it. The days last winter walking on the sand at the gulf seem a long ways off today.

I hope everyone that is getting all the snow plus the cold weather with the negative wind chills to stay safe and warm. I pray that the people that have to be in this weather stay safe. Just hope everyone looks after each other during these cold times. I know here in Arkansas we are suppose to have some mighty cold win chills. Us

Being just south of you near Mountain View I can tell you it is cold. I lost my well around 4:00AM Monday morning and finally got it back up around midnight. Now all I have to do is get a frozen plug out of the main feed line to the house but I'm going to weight till the ground warms up. Due to the property slope I think the rains over the past years as reduced the pipe depth from the surface. Being in Stone County you are probably aware of how much rock we have. They had trouble getting down as deep as I would have liked and I wasn't here to watch over the job. Then again I think this is the coldest it has been since we moved here 10 years ago. I realize this is nothing compared to many here on the forum and I really can't complain as I would hate the thought of living under snow all winter. You guys are way tougher then me when it comes to dealing with that kind of weather. I do send you my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe and stay warm.

George

Wow some of you have it rough and glad we only received about 3/4 of inch of snow and ice. Yesterday with wind chill it got to -15 below zero. We are warming up today. It is 28 degree right now with wind chill of 19 degree. My power was out early this morning about 3:45 am for about 2 hours which our house starting getting cold after about an hour. I bet some of you are glad we have global warming or some of you would have an ice age.

I would not like living in an igloo.
You mean I just spent two days building you this igloo for no reason? ;)

We're up to all of 7°, this evening. And the wind chill is only -3°, so we're coming back to shirtsleeve weather. :whistling: Actually, we've a predicted high of 39° on Friday and 40° on Saturday, both with rain, so the snow will be going away, as well.

I just woke up and saw my satellite receiver was not getting a signal. I tugged on a pair of jeans and a jacket, went downstairs and walked around to the other side of the house to brush the snow from the dish. Several people were out in the street, clearing off and digging out their vehicles. And, to a person, they all stopped and stared at me.

What, have they never seen anyone walking barefoot in knee-deep snow drifts and 16° temperatures before today, or what? :confused:

Satellite system is back up and running, that's the good news.

We just got back in the house this morning from not having power since Sunday. The house got to 30 degrees before the power was finally restored. Took quite a while for the furnace to catch up. I had a few pipes frozen, but none split - I made sure there was plenty of expansion room. We finally got the water back today. This is the second time in the last two years, we've been out of power for at least 3 days. I'm not doing it again and will be installing a standby generator this spring. Then when power goes off, I can at least have heat and flush the john!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back