Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

contemplating a build

It's been my experience most failed builds come from folks getting to the point where they don't have the skill level to finish. You are wise to recognise your ablities and proceed from there.

For a power train go to your local parts store and check on the price of a rebuilt long block, much cheaper than a crate motor. Check the yellow pages for an independent trans rebuilder. We have a guy that will rebuild a 350th for $125. Prices seem to vary depending on where you live. Around here the above package with a basic 4 barrel goes for about $1500.

Ron

What Ron just said. I would recommend that you keep you engine and trans rebuilding repairing right there in your home town. There will be a shop that builds engines for just what you need, just as there is a trans shop that can fix you up. Ask around at the race tracks and local car shows about who has the best service after the sale. It would be a shame to have a rear seal leaking on a crate engine that you bought from someone 2000 miles away, or a trans that won't shift into high gear. With local shops you could take the whole car in and have them fix it.

foodog, whilst height and weight can make a big difference in how comfortable you would be in a T, so does seat design and placement. I'm 6'2" and 270 lbs, so I was really concerned about it. I drove out to CT and visited Total Performance. Brian and Jim were very gracious and allowed me to "try on" a couple of options. I found the Total seat insert was just the ticket for me. It allowed me to sit down into the car a lot more, as well as moving me back a bit and tilting me so my legs would be at a more comfortable angle.

Was the comfort level so high I would want to jump in the car and drive it to the West Coast? No, it wasn't. But I was looking to build a cruiser, not a long distance runner, so I was pleased with the decision.

Several years ago, we had some downtime at a race, when a section of bleachers had collapsed. :eek: We ended up with a bench-racing session at our trailer. Larry Morgan has just started driving the Rod Shop Fiero in Comp Eliminator and we were talking about his transition from Super Stock into Comp. He made the comment he wanted to race so badly that he would race anything he could get into. He the pointed out he wouldn't race something he got onto, only what he could get into. As in, no motorcycles. I always found sitting on a regular T-Bucket bench seat left me feeling like I was sitting on the car, rather than sitting in it. I feel like if I lean over to far, I could just topple out of the car. And that was a little unsettling for me, even though I spent years riding bikes.

Spend time looking at your options. Other than those pesky sands of time, there's nothing saying you have to build a T in a certain amount of time. Look at what other people are doing. Talk to T-Bucket owners. Ask questions. Make notes. Pay attention to things you like in other cars, because you might find those things are easily adapted to a T. Keep your mind, your eyes and your ears open, so you soak up everything you can. After a while, you'll start to develop a plan of attack for the T you are going to build. Then you can start to move forward. As Youngster mentioned, keep your own abilities in mind and you'll be fine.

And, as RPM mentioned, I just happen to have a complete Total kit for sale at a very attractive price, if you decide that is the way you would like to go. I'll leave my shameless plug at that. :oops:

I wish I had liquid cash today and I would take that off your hands. I know my abilities and second guess myself a lot, I am positive that I can do anything with a manual and some instructions. My dad did me the favor growing up of making me fix my own car. Little stuff like alternators, thermostats, starters... I remember I had an accident and I had to go to the u-pull-it for a hood fender bumber and grille. With a Chiltons guide I got it all fixed up. I am by no means a mechanic, but I have friends that would not attempt to chainge their own oil. I also spent a few years in the Air Force working on B52's and C130's but I did electrical not mechanical. .

I an a little nervous to drop what looks like 12-15 grand (for basically all new) and be stuck with a pile of parts. I am confident I could get every thing put together but would it run? I am fortunate to have a brother who is a manager of a local chain parts house so I have been working with him on engine ideas and it is amazing how cheap Jegs and Sumitt can sell a new GM long block for. Even with his discount he can't match the price which is like $2000 with an Edelbrock intake, carb and house brand ignition. My brother said he would come close to that or under with a remanufactured and a Edelbrock intake and carb.... A few hundred bucks extra seems worth it for a new motor which I understand a dealer would work on. The tranny I figured I just go to the junk yard for a pre 85 th350 and have it rebuilt. A new one is only 600-900 plus shipping but I would think a reman could come close to or under that locally.

I will say that three weeks so far of bed rest has given me plenty of time to surf the internet :)

In this area [central Ill.] you can get a boneyard 350 th for 125 -150 , have it rebuilt for 200 , go to a local trans. shop & check them out..

dave

I wish I had liquid cash today and I would take that off your hands. I know my abilities and second guess myself a lot, I am positive that I can do anything with a manual and some instructions. My dad did me the favor growing up of making me fix my own car. Little stuff like alternators, thermostats, starters... I remember I had an accident and I had to go to the u-pull-it for a hood fender bumber and grille. With a Chiltons guide I got it all fixed up. I am by no means a mechanic, but I have friends that would not attempt to chainge their own oil. I also spent a few years in the Air Force working on B52's and C130's but I did electrical not mechanical. .

I an a little nervous to drop what looks like 12-15 grand (for basically all new) and be stuck with a pile of parts. I am confident I could get every thing put together but would it run? I am fortunate to have a brother who is a manager of a local chain parts house so I have been working with him on engine ideas and it is amazing how cheap Jegs and Sumitt can sell a new GM long block for. Even with his discount he can't match the price which is like $2000 with an Edelbrock intake, carb and house brand ignition. My brother said he would come close to that or under with a remanufactured and a Edelbrock intake and carb.... A few hundred bucks extra seems worth it for a new motor which I understand a dealer would work on. The tranny I figured I just go to the junk yard for a pre 85 th350 and have it rebuilt. A new one is only 600-900 plus shipping but I would think a reman could come close to or under that locally.

I will say that three weeks so far of bed rest has given me plenty of time to surf the internet :)

You don't need a new or even rebuilt motor and trans to start your build. 45 years ago when I was first building my bucket I couldn't afford anything new or even rebuilt. I bought a junker car, removed the well worn engine/trans and any other part I though I could use then sold off the rest for junk. That allowed me to complete the build even though the engine was on it's last leg. Once I finished the car I was able drive it around until I saved up enough money to put a decent engine in it. I figure I was able to get the bucket on the road about a year and a half sooner then if I would have waited until I could afford a good engine. 45 years later I'm on my 4th engine.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back