Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Corvair Type Box

Mr. Fixit

During the mock up of my T-Boy body (steel body and floor), I used my old corvair steering box to establish the location of the bracketing, etc. The old box was no longer any good since it was very sloppy and loose, so I recently purchased a Flaming River Corvair type box from Speedway to replace it. It seems to be a different size and although the mounting holes work fine with the bracket, the splined shaft is pinned up against the top side of the hole in the floor. Has anyone experienced a change out such as this and experienced something similar?

Thanks...

Get ahold of Jim at Wintec.He's from the old Total and they had a part in developing that box.

During the mock up of my T-Boy body (steel body and floor), I used my old corvair steering box to establish the location of the bracketing, etc. The old box was no longer any good since it was very sloppy and loose, so I recently purchased a Flaming River Corvair type box from Speedway to replace it. It seems to be a different size and although the mounting holes work fine with the bracket, the splined shaft is pinned up against the top side of the hole in the floor. Has anyone experienced a change out such as this and experienced something similar?

Thanks...

You are correct, the aftermarket box is much bigger than the original Corvair. What is wrong with the Corvair box? We rebuild those old Corvair boxes and have most of the parts for them on the shelf. If you don't want to have it rebuilt, I would be interested if you want to sell it.

You are correct, the aftermarket box is much bigger than the original Corvair. What is wrong with the Corvair box? We rebuild those old Corvair boxes and have most of the parts for them on the shelf. If you don't want to have it rebuilt, I would be interested if you want to sell it.

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the confirmation. Unfortunately, thinking that the old box had no value, I tossed it many months ago. Maybe I should have sent it to Ralph Nader :hiding:

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the confirmation. Unfortunately, thinking that the old box had no value, I tossed it many months ago. Maybe I should have sent it to Ralph Nader :hiding:

Oops, I did mean "Ron"

I modified the bracket and now I am good to go...

Boy I wish I was digging in your garbage can as I paid $100 for a reversed Corvair box and I thought it was such a good deal as he had two of them I bought them both and gave the second one to my son for his car.:guard:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back