Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rebuilding Rev Corvair Box

thebearded1

Has anyone rebuilt a reversed corvair box before? What is needed to get the old bearings and bushings out and the new ones in? I don't have a press and would hate to tear something up trying to use not the right tools.

Thanks I had seen that post and tried turning the adjustor before but it wouldn't budge. I was able turn it with the box off the car though but I can not reach the adjuster well enough to turn it on the car still so it will be tough to adjust it in the method they describe. I also don't have a torque wrench. Instead of taking the pitman arm off I figure I can just jack the front of the car up to unload the wheels

I assume the worm gear adjuster is where the input shaft comes out of right? It mentions figure 1 but that figure isn't with the article. Figure 4 shows the adjuster on the side of the box which sounds like it is adjust after the worm gear

Yea that one is the most helpful one i've found so far. When i went back trying to adjust it i discovered a problem the cover that the adjuster threads through is stripped. I ordered a used cover from California Corvair parts hopefully it gets here in time. I'm not sure if a helicoil would work since it's a through hole. I've never used one before but my dad always did on dead end holes on intakes for carb hold downs. I almost wonder if I could make one out of some steel i have laying around and tap the adjuster hole, that would be better than aluminum. I could use the aluminum one as a template.

I ordered the bushings for the pitman shaft from Clark's Corvair parts. They noted in the catalog that the inner bushing wears often and this is located where I have the play so I think this will help out my problem. They also have an excellent exploded view on their site. I think this winter I will fully rebuild the box myself and just use sockets to drive in and out the stuff. I've done it before on some motorcycle stuff.

Clark's Corvair Parts, Inc. - Corvair Parts Catalog - Over 12,000 parts - pg 158

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back