Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Custom fram rails

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
There was a thread about some tapered frame rails. Here is what we do and how we do it.
The entire rail is cut on the CNC Plasma in one part. It is than bent over to 90* then welded and dressed down.
2012-08-02_12-03-35_900.jpg

2012-08-02_12-04-54_814.jpg

2012-08-02_12-05-08_290.jpg

2012-08-02_12-03-55_315.jpg

Takes a lot of weld in small bits and letting it cool between welds. Once it is all welded, the holes will be filled with tubing and welded in place. Notice that there is an inside of the rail and an out side of the rail. This lets the front crossmember fit right in place. The CNC did all the hard work. These will be the front rails on our new 27 truck.

That is slick!

Nice work Ron, as always!!
Jerry

Looks nice Ron. What welder do you use? I'm curious because I plan on buying a new Mig this week. I've been looking at the Miller 212 and the 252.

Looks nice Ron. What welder do you use? I'm curious because I plan on buying a new Mig this week. I've been looking at the Miller 212 and the 252.

we have 2 welders in the shop a 180 Miller, that is run with .023 wire. It is used for thinner stuff, gas tanks, etc. Then we have a Lincoln 216 that is run with .030 wire that we use for frames and thicker material. I actually prefer the Miller over the Lincoln.

We now buy all of our welding stuff from Harris in Ohio. Best price I have found and free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Mill...70664731730?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item564d56f452

I always call and talk to Moe, he does all the internet stuff.

we have 2 welders in the shop a 180 Miller, that is run with .023 wire. It is used for thinner stuff, gas tanks, etc. Then we have a Lincoln 216 that is run with .030 wire that we use for frames and thicker material. I actually prefer the Miller over the Lincoln.

We now buy all of our welding stuff from Harris in Ohio. Best price I have found and free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Mill...70664731730?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item564d56f452

I always call and talk to Moe, he does all the internet stuff.

Hey Ron , which plasma cutters do you use\prefer?

I use a Hypertherm 380. It is good for 3/8. It can cut slightly thicker but it will be ugly. I find with the plasma cutters always buy bigger than you think you will need if you can afford. The new models are much smaller and cut nice and clean if set right. With welders and plasma cutters it is all about power management IMO. That is what sets the difference between the cheapo's and the big boys.

We have 2 plasma cutters, both Hypertherm. We have a 600 that we use hand held to notch frames, clean rear end housings, instead of a torch. On the CNC we run a 1250. The 1250 will cut 1 1/4", I have cut 1" with it. The thickest we cut on a regular basis is 3/8". It will cut 3/8" at a rate of 75 inches a minute. So the rear radius rod bat wing that would weld to your rear end housing, it will make one in about 15 seconds, bolt holes and all.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back