Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

cutting door openings

OptimusPrime

Hey Guys, If I wanted to cut a door out of my non stretched Herman's Body would I cut it through the center of the raised door line or just ahead of the door line?

I cut mine on the outside of the door where the raised area meets the body.Be sure to add your reinforcement to the body and the door before you cut.Take your time.Have fun.

Also if it were me i would make me a plywood jig and use a router if it were me.

Here's one I did a few years back. Cut outside the revel or raised door line. i build the door jam up 5/8" all around so the door laps the body. This allows you to adjust the latch so there is somepressure on it to keep the door from popping open.

StansT001Small.jpg

This one shows the door trimmed out with 1" x pine.

StansT003Small.jpg

Ron

Youngster, did you use T hinges? or is there a subsitute that will work?

The hinge is homemade copy of a "T" hinge. The owner wanted to have them plated so I built this one. A stock "T" door hinge will also work just fine. I used 1/4 20 't' nuts with countersunk allen machine screwson the hinge and the latch stricker. The car has been on the road for 12 years and no problem with this set-up.

Ron

Youngster, any chance that you might do a tech right up on making your own hinges

Optimus you can also check on ebay for the hinges.They usually go really cheap.I bought 3 on there together for $27 including shipping.

Nice hinge what is it
Here's one I did a few years back. Cut outside the revel or raised door line. i build the door jam up 5/8" all around so the door laps the body. This allows you to adjust the latch so there is somepressure on it to keep the door from popping open.

StansT001Small.jpg

This one shows the door trimmed out with 1" x pine.

StansT003Small.jpg

Ron

The hinge was made from a couple buck hingers from a home store and some 10ga.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back