Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Dancing

Rick

VIP
VIP Member
Took a day off from work to go cruising and had a tie rod show it's ugly head.:cussing:Not a fun dance to go to.Going to get TWO new ones.

Well, boy howdy! I'll bet that was fun dosi-doe! :eek:

Glad you got 'er pulled over safely Rick. That's one call I'd hate to hear go out, a wrecked hot rod.

Jim

I checked my front end further and found the NEW AND IMPROVED KING PINS are junk(the ones with the roller bearings in them from Speedway)Not there product i should add.I thought my tie rod ends took a hike but it's the king pin if you grab the wheel and move it back and forth it moves alot.Put my finger on the bottom of the king pin and i can feel the movement in the bearings.Soo my question what is the best way to FIT the king pins?(I bought the standard bronze bushing old style).

Thanks and linking to other boards is fine here.Keeping the spindle bores square and parelell with the axle bore is the problem i have had.The pin wil slide free in the spindle but when i assemble the spindle to the axle it has hung up in the past.

Rick

First, I'm glad you weren't hurt.

How many miles were on those kingpins? Just curious.

If you have access to a good automotive machine shop, they can align hone the new bushings for a super precise fit. Doing it this way is supposed to make the bushings last a lot longer due to a better fit.

Mike

A good automotive machine shop will have a Sunnen king pin hone that is really long and will hone both bushings at the same time and to the same size. Kinda like a aline hone on the main caps of an engine. If you are running Ford spindles and can't fine a machine shop with that hone, let me know I have the old Ford reamer and would be glad to lend it to you.

I screwed up.. My grandpa was a mechanic back in "the day" 1920s thru the mid 50s. He had all the reamers and knurling equipment for kingpin work. When he passed I want much interested in old tools so I think they got tossed in a hole and buried..I could use that stuff now. I did get to keep his chain hoist, he bought it at an auction in about 1944 and its been in the family ever since. Its a traditional old school tool and I am proud to use and care for it. Its almost like hes watching over my shoulder, I can smell the pipe tobacco still..........

norseman said:
I screwed up.. My grandpa was a mechanic back in "the day" 1920s thru the mid 50s. He had all the reamers and knurling equipment for kingpin work. When he passed I want much interested in old tools so I think they got tossed in a hole and buried..I could use that stuff now. I did get to keep his chain hoist, he bought it at an auction in about 1944 and its been in the family ever since. Its a traditional old school tool and I am proud to use and care for it. Its almost like hes watching over my shoulder, I can smell the pipe tobacco still..........

Well break out the metal detector and start digging :rofl:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back