Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

differential

luke 13

• I recently picked up a barn find t bucket. after I GOT IT HOME I NOTICED THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL IS WELDED DIRECTLY TO THE FRAME. there are seats welded on to the differential where coils run up to the fiberglass tub for cushion. has anyone seen this before?

I've been looking all over the net and haven't seen anything like it anywhere. im starting to wonder if that's why it was sitting for years. Thanks chopped

I recently read an ad for a car...can't remember what type...maybe a bucket, and it said the rear was welded to the frame. Maybe it was yours??

The only thing I can think of is maybe it was the builder's idea of the hot set up for drag racing?? But I don't see how that can be a benefit.

Well thank you all for your imput its very much appreciated. Ive had the car out on a couple occasions. It needs some bugs out of it and it isn't the nicest rider in the world, but not the worst either. I never rode in a bucket before so I don't know how nice it should ride. It has plenty of power and it goes down the road straight as can be. I have it in a garage elsewhere, as soon as I can ill post some pics of how its put together. Its kind of hard to understand without seeing it.

I saw one like that on the autocross course at a GoodGuys event ... can not image how the ride was

If I was to cut the differential off the frame could anyone tell me the best way to correct the problem. I saw a lot of different setups, what is the best?

The ole Altereds and Diggers of yesteryear were solid like that. before we decided to build flex into the frame to absorb shock and torque and act as a tuning aid. Still catching 14 diff. kinds of hell for the wheels by the drivers cage....
We've tried and done alot of stupid stuff in the racing dept. (like the sideways mounted top fuel motor), but a articulated rear suspension is needed in any streetcar, especially a T.

Hitting a big pothole at 60mph on a OLD 2 lane highway, those big Hoosiers on the rear, bouncing, while meeting a big tractor/trailer, does not inspire me with confidence, nor does it make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....
My skin grows back alot slower now, and I have enough aches and pains as it is. Take care of yourself while your young if you can. Protect your eyes and your ears. Shoddy workmanship on a small, light car such as a T that can have a really big power to weight ratio, can get you killed, FAST!,
A short wheelbased, light, powerful car, such as a T can be a handful for even the most experienced among us....Ask any Altered driver....
Just be safe....

Last edited:
The other problem with this setup is unsprung weight. T-buckets are already not the best because the springing is so stiff relative to vehicle weight. Turn that into a solid connection between the wheels and frame, and I would expect it to skitter right off the road on any curve that isn't glass smooth.

Luke, I think you're headed in the right direction, but you might want to double-check the frame to be sure it's been done right before continuing. Talk to people like Ron (RPM) or the other sponsors of the forum, all of whom are experts at this sort of thing. They can advise you how best to proceed so you don't get burned.

Jack

The ole Altereds and Diggers of yesteryear were solid like that. before we decided to build flex into the frame to absorb shock and torque and act as a tuning aid. Still catching 14 diff. kinds of hell for the wheels by the drivers cage....
We've tried and done alot of stupid stuff in the racing dept. (like the sideways mounted top fuel motor), but a articulated rear suspension is needed in any streetcar, especially a T.

Hitting a big pothole at 60mph on a OLD 2 lane highway, those big Hoosiers on the rear, bouncing, while meeting a big tractor/trailer, does not inspire me with confidence, nor does it make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....
My skin grows back alot slower now, and I have enough aches and pains as it is. Take care of yourself while your young if you can. Protect your eyes and your ears. Shoddy workmanship on a small, light car such as a T that can have a really big power to weight ratio, can get you killed, FAST!,
A short wheelbased, light, powerful car, such as a T can be a handful for even the most experienced among us....Ask any Altered driver....
Just be safe....
I sure have trouble with quote deal.

Swampdog

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back