Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Do I try to build this myself or do I sell it???

2xcrash

So I'm a complete beginner at working on anything glass, pretty much a beginner at everyting.

The body has some thin spots and is pretty flimsy in the rear.

Should as I even try to make the doors operatable or should I glass them closed?

Anyone have any good links to glassing and chaneling this ?

Thanks

Couldn't tell you who built it. Got it with a bunch of parts. I'm kicking myself now it would've been cheaper to buy a complete frame package and body...

I like them big doors . Install some wood around inside the body and it will stiffin it up.

I like it to. What sold me on the body I'm getting is the wider doors and being made wider over all. Since you already have it, I see no reason not to give it a try.

If you build it, don't try to make hidden hinges! I have just about given up on mine. I'm looking real hard at a '40 Lincoln Zephyr and selling all my gathered parts! John

I'd say go ahead and build it. Those big doors can be a real plus. Makes getting in and out much easier then climbing over the sides. The silver car in my picture had big doors like that. A LITTLE bit of wood in that body will really stiffen it up.

Those big doors are great, believe me . I now own Ron's old car and my wife told me NEVER think about trading cars. Glass in some wood around the inside of that body and it will be solid, a little work and you will have a very nice body. Ron can give you the info you need to get the measurements for a frame and he can build one for you. Some suspension parts and a little work and you will have a very nice car. Where do you live maybe some of the members on here are close enough to help out a little

Having doors that wide is going to expose the sides of the seat when they are open. That will make it very easy to get into but you will have to finish the exposed seat sides. I'm going to guess that if you keep the driver side door, the extra width will be a bonus. If it were mine I'd keep it and wood the inside.

I live in La Quinta. I would have Ron build the frame but I'm on the other side of the country. I have CCR building one of their long frames. I have a lot of the parts and a a 50 331 caddy motor for it.

Keep it, put the 331 in it....do as the guys say....alot cheaper in the longrun....

Easy enough to get a bit of extra cloth and resin on the inside of the body where it's a bit thin. Those doors, if it was me I would think seriously about hingeing them at the back (suicide style) both for ease of hinge installation and to have something a little different.

Those doors, if it was me I would think seriously about hingeing them at the back (suicide style) both for ease of hinge installation and to have something a little different.

Agree. Would be easy with exposed hinges, a little trickier with concealed ones. For concealed I might look at the ones that CCR uses. They are pretty easy to use as both hinges are held by a single mounting plate.

Be careful if you order the CCR hinges. I tried them and you only get the part that bolts to the door and the invoice clearly states "No returns on hinge parts". I now have a $90.00 powder coated wall hanger. I wasn't going to bitch, but since it may save someone else some grief I thought I'd mention it. I'll sell mine for $70.00 plus shipping if you want to try to make it work

Easy enough to get a bit of extra cloth and resin on the inside of the body where it's a bit thin. Those doors, if it was me I would think seriously about hingeing them at the back (suicide style) both for ease of hinge installation and to have something a little different.

I thought about that, I like the idea.
What type of exposed hinges would work?

Keep the ideas comming! I'm more stoked on the body,thanks everyone!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back