Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Donations are short

Mike J

1 day left, still $100 short. It shouldn't come down to the last minute.:confused:

Apparently, no one. :thumbsdown: Wow, I was concerned at trying to take on an additional $44 monthly expense, in the form of this new server. But when I am now left to cover the $30 deficit in the donations atop that, it is a real slap in the face. I do hope this is not going to become the norm, because I simply cannot afford it. I genuinely do not want to start taking steps backward, but facts are facts.

I try to help out with a reminder, sometimes it works. Could you send out alert to all members near the end of the month as a reminder that donations are low? Or is that like telling kids to put their clothes away, pick up toys, etc... I know we are all adults here playing with bigger toys, but sometimes a kick in the a** is needed.:mad:

I try to help out with a reminder, sometimes it works.
And I appreciate the fact that you not only see the need, but understand the necessity to fill the need.

Could you send out alert to all members near the end of the month as a reminder that donations are low?
I do that very thing, every day of every month of every year.

Unless someone visits the site via a bookmark to a deep link page, they are landing on the forum home page. And once they log in, the donation module appears -

donate014.jpg

The module is as visible as I know how to make it. It is amazing how many people are capable of blinding themselves to things they do not care about, or do not wish to see. Actually, I am great at being ad-blind. I can pick up a print magazine, read it from cover to cover and never see any of the ads. I read the magazine in an effort to educate myself with the content, not to have my buying influenced by glitzy ads.

Unfortunately, people also blind themselves to that donation module. In addition to the hate mail I get from this site, I also get a lot of messages to tell me how much people appreciate this site. A lot of them read the same way, people say they like the feeling of community around here and people say they like the amount of information to be found here. All of which is good to hear, but it also makes me want to respond by suggesting something along the lines of showing appreciation at the donation module. <SHRUG> We all like to be recognized for our efforts, but what all of us need is recognition to come in the form of donations. Without donations, there is nothing for anyone to show gratitude about, aye?

But this is the Internet. Which means everything is free, right? :rolleyes: The license to use XenForo software on this forum didn't cost me $140. Nor did it cost me $40 for the annual renewal of that license, back on 3 August. Nor did the domain registration renewal for this site cost me $10.87, on 11 August. Nor did the completely wasted Gallery license cost me $62. Nor did the new server we are now running on cost me $323, on 16 August.

Annual expenses come to $3926.87, which breaks down to $327.24, each and every month. I agreed to popping for the additional $44/month the solid state drives were going to cost, but that still means expenses come to $283.24. Which already had me eating $13.24 each month, because I have the donation quota set at $270.00. And I'm the guy paying the PayPal processing fees, so that nibbles away at the donations, as well. For instance, a $5.00 donation nets me $4.55, a $10.00 donation nets me $9.41, a $20 donation nets me $19.12, a $25.00 donation nets me $23.41, etc.

Or is that like telling kids to put their clothes away, pick up toys, etc... I know we are all adults here playing with bigger toys, but sometimes a kick in the a** is needed.
:speechless:

All I can say is that if I don't pay the domain registrar, then this site will disappear. And, if I don't pay the hosting company, then this site will disappear. All of which means I do not enjoy the luxury of ignoring our ongoing expenses, the way so many of our regular users do.

And the bottom line is that those are the very same users who are ignoring this thread, because it has the dreaded 'donations' word in the subject line. Fact.

See how much 'fun' it is, owning and operating Web sites?

And the bottom line is that those are the very same users who are ignoring this thread, because it has the dreaded 'donations' word in the subject line. Fact.
How many days in a row can the same person go to the same news stand, pick up the same magazine and read it without paying for it? Pretty soon the news stand owner is going to catch on and put the magazines in plastic wrap and encourage people to purchase the magazine. The magazine stand won't stay in business for very long if nobody is buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
hell with over 3000 members if they all donated $5 that would cover expenses for over 4 years $5 is basically the cost of a magazine or 2, come on all lets do it!!!!!!!!!

An upgrade has been released on the Donation Manager script, which I have applied. And, in my way of thinking, the sidebar module is a bit more 'in your face' than before.

donate015.jpg

We still have the issue of the donation menu text being the wrong color, but as I have already illustrated, you can either use your mouse to highlight the text, or temporarily switch to the XenForo default template.

I guess I joined at the wrong time of the month last month. I just made a donation which I have to do at the beginning of the month. Thanks for a great site.

It would be interesting to make a drop down box every time you logged in until you donated something ! .............. Just Saying.

It would be interesting to make a drop down box every time you logged in until you donated something ! .............. Just Saying.
And you know, it would take all of about 20 seconds to set that up. :sneaky: And it would nag those who haven't donated, on every page they visit. It would be worse than having a house mouse pestering you to mow the lawn.

For that most excellent suggestion, you have earned -

goldstar.png

I wonder how it is I've never thought about that, before? :confused:

Aww shucks im blushing. I just remember going to other car sites and getting a reminder on to go this thread first before you could do anything.

After some consideration, I realized using XenForo Notices as a reminder just was not enough of a nag. So I decided to invest a bit of money ($16) and make the nag more of a real nag. Anyone not supporting the site will no be presented with the following Notification. On Every. Page. Of. The. Site. :cool:

donate017.jpg

donate018.jpg

I figure that sooner or later, people are going to get tired of seeing it and will get on board with those of you who have already ponied up to keep us alive and growing.

One thing I learned from my two marriages - how to be a pestering, festering nag. :thumbsup:

Donations are off to a good start, 41% of the goal already! :thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back