Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Drilling fiberglass dash for speedometer install

What is the best way to drill a fiberglass dash to install a speedometer? I've never done this, and would like some advice. I have uploaded a picture of the dash in question. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod
Kansas

Attachments

• Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 126
We use hole saws for that. Hole saws come in increments of 1/8" And they will make a hole exactly the size it says on the side of the saw. If you are using the 2 1/16" gauges, you will need a 2" saw and then have to sand the inside to make it bigger.

You could also do it like us poor boys do. Put down several layers of masking tape over the area to be drilled. Mark the circle on the tape with a compass or other object that is round and the right size. Drill about 10 million 1/8" or so holes just inside the diameter of the hole you marked, drilling the holes as close together as you can. Be careful that the hole you drill does not go outside the line you drew. After all the holes are drilled connect the holes by removing the material between them with a drill bit, jig saw blade, dremel tool or whatever. Then you will have to go around the hole with a grinder to smooth out the edge. This way you won't have to buy a 4" hole saw that you might never use again. It won't be a real pretty hole, but the rim of the speedo will cover the edge anyway.

Fiberglass loves to eat up cheap holesaws. Go to harbor freight and use a couple of cheap ones to get almost all the way thru, put in the good one, it'll just skim the OD of the hole because the fiberglass trims down the outside of the cheap holesaws.
That way you'll have more left on your new holesaw to do more work with it. Like a matching Tach....;-}

Thank you all for the great advice. My son has 2 hole saws that I can use...that way I dull his. Tomorrows the "big day". I'll let you all know how it went. And yes, Screaming Metal... a matching tach is a great idea! Thanks again!

Has anyone ever used a Roto
Fiberglass loves to eat up cheap holesaws. Go to harbor freight and use a couple of cheap ones to get almost all the way thru, put in the good one, it'll just skim the OD of the hole because the fiberglass trims down the outside of the cheap holesaws.
That way you'll have more left on your new holesaw to do more work with it. Like a matching Tach....;-}

If the fiberglass eats up hole saws, I wonder if a Rotozip would work. Use the hole saw to to cut the desired size hole in a 1x, clamp it on the back side of the dash, as a guide for the Rotozip guide tip bit. <shrug>

The dash went excellent without any problems at all. I did drill with a 3" hole saw per recommendations offered on this forum. Thank you all for the excellent help and advice. I have posted 3 pics from the project. I do have questions about side mirrors available, but will post as a specific topic. Once again, thank you everyone for all the help!

Attachments

• Speedo 3.jpg
    Speedo 3.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Speedo 2.jpg
    Speedo 2.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Speedo 1.jpg
    Speedo 1.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 98

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back