Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Driver's Compartment 23t vs 27t

JKelly

I am just starting, and some members suggested the 27 coupe for more room. I'm partial to a roadster, particularly with a pickup bed, so I've been trying to do some research on this site. However, I can't find what I seek via the search engine. It's likely that I'm simply too ignorant at this point to feed it the correct search terms.

If I understand it correctly, the 27 coupe is basically a redesigned 23. Other than the attached turtleback, is there any other change in the dimensions of the passenger area? If so, how would it compare with CCR's stretched 23, for instance?

Thanks

The 27T has a longer cowl which means more leg room. I just got my 27T body. Passenger can stretch out legs. Driver's left foot is pretty tight with steering column so might not be able to stretch out there.

The 27T has a longer cowl which means more leg room. I just got my 27T body. Passenger can stretch out legs. Driver's left foot is pretty tight with steering column so might not be able to stretch out there.

I have set in all of them and the CCR long smooth body is by far the best . BUT at a price to .

Somewhere I think I have the dimensions you're looking for. Don't have time to look for them right now, but I will try to get them up for you.

You are basically correct in that the 27 isn't a huge improvement in room over the 23, but any extra room is good thing. The 27 is wider in the firewall and that will help with the 3 pedal setup.

I suggested (as did the others I'm sure) the 27 because of the use you said you wanted to put the car to. Long trips, AC, manual trans and daily driver. You run out of room in these little interiors fast when you start trying to fit pedals, columns, shitfters and you in there comfortably.

In the end though, it's your car and your money. If you like the roadster pickup, go for it. That may sound sarcastic, but it's not meant to be. Build the car you've dreamed of, otherwise you won't be satisfied with it.

Mike

I am just starting, and some members suggested the 27 coupe for more room. I'm partial to a roadster, particularly with a pickup bed, so I've been trying to do some research on this site. However, I can't find what I seek via the search engine. It's likely that I'm simply too ignorant at this point to feed it the correct search terms.

If I understand it correctly, the 27 coupe is basically a redesigned 23. Other than the attached turtleback, is there any other change in the dimensions of the passenger area? If so, how would it compare with CCR's stretched 23, for instance?

Thanks

If it's space you desire, then check out Shadow Rods XL 27. It's a '27 body designed to fit on '32 rails.

Shadow Rods

frt5.jpg

Thanks.

Those dimensions give me a much better idea of the differences. I was trying to compare the figures of different manufacturers and was getting conflicting information.

Do you know if anyone makes just the bucket portion for a 27T?

If not, does the turtledeck outside dimesions follow the lines of the 27t pickup bed, and would it be practical to alter the turtledeck into a pickup bed by cutting off the top and fabricating a new floor and sides?

Here's a link to Old Dog Street Rods.

http://www.olddogstr...http://www.olddogstreetrods.com/bodies.pdf

It's a PDF file of their street rod body catalog. I've never done any business with them, but they do show a 27 RPU body under their "Lakester" section. Also, it says that the body will accept their pickup beds. The body dimensions are listed too.

Keep in mind that most of these body molds have been made and remade many, many times over the years. Some manufacturer's molds are taken off of original Ford bodies and others are taken off of someone elses fiberglass body. The dimensions may not all be the same.

Mike

SlowPoke,
You may want to check out the 23 on class glass performance's web site. Classglassperformance.com The body is hand laid glass and is stretched 8 inches. Prices seem good. I prefer the looks of a 23 over a 27 with the turtle deck. Another member bought one and picked it up and he recommended it to me. I'm building an altered, so I need room in the body for a full cage. I 'll be going to Maryland with the pick up truck to buy one as soon as I get up a few more spare bucks. Good luck on your project! Bob

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back