Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Econoline Axle

Mike Becker

I recently bought an econoline front axle, got it home, and noticed that it had a slight bend in the axle. Is this a major issue or should I return it and get something else. The bend isn't extensive, but it is noticeable. Funny thing is, the van we got it out of was a front end collision.

I recently bought an econoline front axle, got it home, and noticed that it had a slight bend in the axle. Is this a major issue or should I return it and get something else. The bend isn't extensive, but it is noticeable. Funny thing is, the van we got it out of was a front end collision.

You didn't actually say it, but are you asking if it can be straightened and used? If so, yes. It's a forging and can be straightened if you have the resources to do so.

Bob

You didn't actually say it, but are you asking if it can be straightened and used? If so, yes. It's a forging and can be straightened if you have the resources to do so.

Bob

What resources would that be? My brother works at a body shop...maybe a frame straightener?

What resources would that be? My brother works at a body shop...maybe a frame straightener?

You can straighten it in a hydraulic press. Of course, you'll need to have the appropriate tools to insure that kingpin inclination is correct, and that the kingpin bores are in the same plane. All you really need for that is a machinist level, a couple of steel bars that slide through the kingpin bores, and a flat/level surface.

Bob

If you really have your heart set on using one of those axles, take that one back and find another. If you still want that axle, take it to a heavy truck repair shop to have it straightened. They do this kind of work all the time and should have the spec's for it too.

Ron

When you look at the cost of this axle and the a**ache of straightening or exchanging, why not consider buying an axle from RPM here, one of our forum's other sponsors or a real nice axle from Chassis Engineering in Iowa. CE's I-beam axles are forgings, not castings like those of Superbell, Magnum or Speedway.

I believe RPM has a very nice tube axle at a reasonable price. And, it's going to be lighter than the Econoline axle - that means less unsprung weight for better ride qualities.

I'm using one as well. I cut and ground off the spring pads and welded on some batwings for the hairpins. It isn't the pretty chrome job some folks run but boy is it ever strong!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back