Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Edit" feature

Lee_in_KC

Mike, is there any particular reason that you have the "edit" feature set to disappear fairly soon after the post is made? Personally, I think it goes away too quickly.

Mike, is there any particular reason that you have the "edit" feature set to disappear fairly soon after the post is made? Personally, I think it goes away too quickly.

X3

Russ

I feel the same way, I always try to proof read what I'm posting but once in a while something gets by me and I will spot it right the edit feature times out.

OK, I doubled the amount of time regular members have to edit their posts. Forum donors and sponsors will now have double that amount of time.

As a quick explanation, I bought my first computer (A Commodore VIC-20) in February 1981. A few weeks later, I started hearing about something called dial-up bulletin boards, so I had to have a modem. A blazingly fast 300 baud modem, but I was online! I had to place a long distance call to Indianapolis, in order to log into CompuServe, but it was like magic. I bought the very first Commodore 64 I laid eyes on and it was so new, there wasn't even any software to get online with. So, I wrote a terminal program in Commodore Basic 2.0, complete with a download buffer and a printer buffer. I had to get back online and no way was I going to use the VIC when I had this wonder of computing power I had just purchased.

I have been haunting dial-up boards and forums for over 29 years now. I've owned them, I've moderated them and I've used them for longer than some of you have been alive, probably. I've seen good things happen and I've seen some really bad things happen to sites I've frequented. One of the oldest tricks in the book for trouble-makers would be to watch a site to see when the forum staff was around and when there were not. When it was clear the staff was away for a while, the trouble-makers would submit really hateful posts about other members and then slip back in to edit their posts before the staff caught them out. I've seen several active sites die completely out from pranks like this. Which is why I get nervous about leaving the ability to edit wide open.

All in all, I am always surprised at how well-behaved everyone is on this site. But in all the years of online activity and all the years spent working in sales, I've seen just how rotten people can be at times. So I always keep my guard up. The forum software has a function that traps nearly all spammers as they register (a huge timesaver for me) and bans them on the spot. In 3.5 years, I've had to dump 4 or 5 members manually. That is an incredible number. But there are always those who have the potential to create a stooshie at the drop of a hat. And that is why some of the functions of this site are set up as they are. We have a member here that enjoys making himself out to be a martyr on this site with a porkie in his signature, who then turns around on another site and tells others how much value he adds to this site, generally whilst bad-mouthing myself and other T-Bucket Forums members. I suppose he's a legend in his own mind, so I tolerate his petulant behavior and just enjoy watching his pettit lip attitude. But at the same time, I am also aware he has the potential for stirring up trouble, so I cannot completely ignore him.

Like I said, forums can be interesting places, what with all the human dynamics taking place. But this site is really one of the best and smoothest sites I have ever seen and that's down to all of you. Thanks for making my job as easy as you have.

:shrug: . Thanks Mike. this really is a great bunch of people on this site, but part of the credit has to go to you for remaining an active part of the site, and being accessable.

Thank you!,
Russ

Russ, I was guilty of not being as active as I could've been, a few months back. In truth, I was pretty well burned out. I was so intent on being the forum admin, I had nearly forgotten all about just being a forum member. Thankfully, I managed to shake it off and I'm having fun interacting with everyone again. :shrug:

Thanks Mike, I just senior moment where my brain and fingers took off in different directions. Shortly after hitting the post button I realized I mistyped but was pleasantly surprised to find I still had the option to go back and correct my mistake.

I understand the time limit thing, I moderate on the HR board, and there are times when certain members are off their meds.....I'm now a supporter, is my edit time automatically increased? Cuz, I need all the help I can get, ha!

Yes, once a member in the Regular usergroup makes a donation, their usergroup is updated via a cron job. I have the cron set up to run at 20 minutes past the hour, every hour. So it could take as much as 59 minutes to see a usergroup promotion take place. But once the promotion cron runs, the member's account is updated to include permissions from the Supporting Members usergroup. You're good to go. You'll see your username is in green text and your user title is over-ridden to Supporting Member. Regular members' usernames appear in red text and their user titles are Member.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back