Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Electric fan

I installed an electric Fan that I had for years where is the best place to install the temperature guage sensor on the intake or engine block it is supposed to turn on at 200 degrees but it comes on at 210. I have a 195 degree thermostat 350 chevy engine all stock. Thank you for your help.

My intake manifold has a sensor location in both the front and the back. The front will read higher since this is where the water finally exits the block going to the radiator. This is for a Gen I SBC.

You can put the sensor in either location. Simple off/on sensors are one way, but I like the fan controllers where you can set the temp you like. And some of them vary the fan speed instead of just turning it on and off. Check out Painless and Derale and Spal and Dakota Digital. I'm using the Painless now and like it.

it is supposed to turn on at 200 degrees but it comes on at 210.

Where and how are you measuring the 210?? Temperatures vary widely throughout the engine, and unfortunately so do the sensors, so consider any reading you have only a reference.

I have the Dakota Digital controller in my sedan, seems to work really well.

My friend was having issues with overheating and decided to change thermostats. Before installing the new one, he decided to test the old one. He put it in water on the stove with two thermometers. A digital and a mercury. The old thermostat worked as it should right at about 180. The new one wouldn't open until 220, so he exchanged it. The second new one opened at just under 200 and they were all 180. Many variables at play. From my experience, a head is a more reliable place to get temperature because the temp is less suseptical to change and represents the temp at a critical area. Also, be sure to place the sensor where it will always be imersed in fluid. The thermostat housing isn't my choice. I prefer 180 over 195, but that depends on climate and the particular build. I also like to install a manual over ride switch in electric fan systems so I can turn the fan on if I feel it's running hotter than it should. I've had sensors fail. On my iroc, I had dual fans, they were on seperate sensors. One came on at the set temp, the second came on at a higher temp so if the primary fan wasn't able to do the job, it came on, but didn't over drain the electrical system. This can also be done with two speed fans. Personally, I prefer manual cooling fans, but that depends on the build.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back