Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Eng.Thoughts

Gotta Be Chevy

Since I retired from the racing scene I have found that I have a couple of engines lyin around. One was once a race engine,the other was going to be. So my ? is Which one should I build for the T.
The one is a 327 board .030 with 11to 1 pistons the other is a 355 with either 12to 1 or higher depending on what heads I put with it. I am going to put a 3 speed manual Tran out of a vega behind it.
Any comment'

Do the 327 but get a different trans. Something you won't break easily.

I too am having the same thoughts. But for me its either a 350 (4 of them) or a 355 (1 that came out of my 85 MCSS race car). And one lonely 400. I was going to de stroke the 400 to a 377 and run tunnels and put this in the bucket. You know high reving motor, 2500 stall, and juiced in a very lite car. Buckle in and Hang on! Still might go that route. All my spare bullets are 4 bolt mains. The other 350's I'm either going to bore it out to a 355 or sell at least 3 of them. Oh did I mention that I have transmission to go along with the bullets too. I didn't help you make a decission did I? :cry:

I think with either one you are not going to like the compression ratios. Anything over about 9.5 or 10 is really stretching it with today's gas, even Premium. In the past I've run some 11 to 1 motors on the street, but that was when gas was gas. I know you can do some things to let the motor not knock, but is it really worth the trouble for a few extra HP that a T really doesn't need more of anyway.

Just a thought.

Don

don has a made a valid point for street driven cars. 9.5 or 10 to 1 is plenty. if you are a horsepower nut then go for it but realize there is a trade off for that bling.

Ron

8 to 1 mechanical comp. is all you can really use with todays fuel (crap gas) as you do not want to run it retarted too much, because that makes things run too hot.. Do you want a daily driver? or a show it off now and then ride, that makes all the difference in the World as to how & why you build anything.

This Tranny has been use to turning between 6&75 grand in second gear for about 15 years,Hasn't come apart yet. I think this would be a nice change.

That much static compression will also want a pretty long camshaft to keep cylinder pressure in line. If you run that much camshaft, then you're looking at a low gear ratio to keep the motor up where it will want to run.

I'm with Ted on this one. And this is the step so many people overlook. Decide how you want to drive it and look long and hard where the motor is going to spend most of it's time, RPM-wise. Then your job will be to make the motor happy at that RPM.

Here in Indiana, you might get away with 11:1 and pump gas in April or late October. Get one of our dog days of summer and 9.5:1 will have you knocking timing out to keep things alive. Once again, it comes back to how you want to drive your car.

I've learned it is always best to err on the smaller side of things when it comes to parts like carbs, camshafts and compression ratios.

I think I would want something that is dependable,I am going with a 030 over 350,with 9 or 10 to 1 or close ,nice cam nothing major (hotrod sound) ,Tunnel Ram, turbo 350 with stall . I know that I can run on pump gas and get parts anywhere if I'm on the road

I thought once that I might like more stall, it would only get me into trouble, with the law, as the car is way too quick as it is, with a stock converter, I have never been beat out of the gate, by anything including some really fast bikes.. T's rule!!!!

Remember that camshafts and torque converters are joined at the hip. Don't hesitate to contact your converter manufacturer to explain your combination to them. You might be surprised at their recommendation, but you'll be happier overall.

Weather it is Harleys or hot rods, I have always tried to keep it Lite & Reliable.
As lite weight as buckets are, it will be quick!

George

I don't know where you live, but if it's readily available, E85 ethanol will stand the higher comp. ratios and probably run cooler too.

I wouldn't use it because it's only available at one station in this area and I want to drive my car on cross country trips, but it is an option.

Personally, I'm with the others. Build it with 8.5 to 9 to 1 and you'll be a lot happier. Depending on your head CC, a set of flat tops or mild stock type dish pistons should get you there. Chevy pistons are cheap.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Since I'm throwing out opinions, here's another.:)

Why not sell those race engines to someone that needs them. Take the money and find a Vortec take out in good shape. Good heads, roller cam and a 1 piece rear main. They will accept any regular Chevy distributor with the proper gear(melonized) and are less prone to leaks. Only real downside is the special Vortec intake manifold, but almost anything is available from single 4 barrel to 3x2's and 2 fours. They have a funky plastic timing cover that will need to be changed too.

Good "bang for your buck" engine.

Mike

I have the 350HO Vortex, runs good and dependable.

OK, I decided to de stroke the 400 to make it a 377, with tunnels and 600's on top for my build.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back