Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fake filler neck

KPoole9008

I purchased a chrome fake radiator filler neck from Speedway and need to know how to attach it to the radiator. I'm thinking J B Weld. It will be attached to the outside of the radiator only. It will be for looks only. I will be using a fiberglass shell for the radiator. Any ideas ? Thanks

91112221_L.jpg
Is this the one you purchased? If it is you are going to have to cut a hole in your fiberglass shell you could fasten it to the inside of that pushing the top through the hole and fasten flange on the inside with construction adhesive. JMO

I purchased a chrome fake radiator filler neck from Speedway and need to know how to attach it to the radiator. I'm thinking J B Weld. It will be attached to the outside of the radiator only. It will be for looks only. I will be using a fiberglass shell for the radiator. Any ideas ? Thanks

If your radiator is aluminum JB weld won't work. My Dad tried that on his. As soon as it got hot the filler neck came loose. You could take to a radiator shop and see if they can braze it on, or try a something like 3M structural adhesive. I think trying to attached it to the radiator shell is the way to go.

i used jb weld on aluminum radaitor,first i roughed up rad with grinder and did same to bottom of filler neck and used a liberal amount of jb weld so that i could have it under the neck and also let some come over bottom flange then sanded it smooth been on for 2 years so far after painting radaitor looks like its made there

I would drill the flange and used black capbolts with a fender washer and nut on the bottom.

Drill a hole through your fiberglass shell. Use a long bolt with some big washers to secure it to the shell. Use either nylocks or thread lock so it wont vibrate loose.

Epoxy or JB?? whatever you like, glue it to your fiberglass shell and also run a long bolt from the top down through a large washer that just fits down into the neck, now you can screw on a top/cap of your choice, if it is a motor-meter type, you will have to cut away , everything that hangs below the threaded portion, so as not to hit that bolt and washer.. the bolt is insurance, just in case the glue happens to break loose, you will not lose your top... Ride safe :) PS, That cap is a good target for thieves... you could use a set screw to lock on the cap, slow things down a lot...

I went to the radiator shop to have the neck tig welded to the radiator and found out it is made of brass that is chrome plated. I will be using a 3/8 thick piece of aluminum tigged to the radiator and drill and tap that so I can fasten the neck to that with screws. I am using a Dogbone cap with a Motormeter attached to the neck and they add alot of weight so I can't fasten it to the shell. Tahnks for the suggestions.

The material for the radiator top tanks is not that heavy, so it can crack with the weight of all that brass also, I think the fiberglass shell has more flex, and plenty strong enough with a washer back up... I took mine off the top of my brass radiator and mounted it down on my spring top perch plate, too much vibration (from the bones and what ever else you are using) to the top tank for me... Just me here, you do what makes you happy...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back