Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fancy High Tech Distributor

PotvinGuy

Staff member
Check out this distributor. All electronic. You use your smartphone or tablet to adjust it. Timing tables, vacuum advance, boost retard, and it brews damn good coffee. I made up that last item.
As you may know I like to rant on SEMA. They've been selling us the same primitive mechanical dizzys since I was kicking slats out of my cradle. About time someone gave us a modern design.
Actually Mallory did it years go with the Max-Fire, but MSD bought Mallory and killed it. I have a Max-Fire in my bucket, maybe the last one left on Earth.

Interesting. I wonder if it allows retard/advance on start up, etc... have to see the apps. If it does, it will negate the timing computer. The sealed roller bearing threw me...

Interesting. I wonder if it allows retard/advance on start up, etc... have to see the apps. If it does, it will negate the timing computer. The sealed roller bearing threw me...
It cranks at 10°BTDC up to 300 rpm. Add this to any initial timing you might have. As I read the instructions I think you could set initial at 0, then the motor would crank at 10, and would transition to the timing table in the dizzy when the engine fires.
Oddly the tables are in kPa (kilopascals), not the usual inches of vacuum or lbs of boost.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun toy, I might have to get one !
Will my MSD small cap fit or are theirs a special size ?

Damn metric !!! I know it's easier once you get familiar with the units. It's just hard for me to think in those metric units.

Yeah, the US is behind most of the world, which is largely metric. 1 kPa = 0.145 psi. Funny story, I was in Canada with a female collogue some years ago and I was driving. Canadian cars have both metric and imperial markings, but the metric (kilometers/hr) is most prominent, just the opposite of US cars. She would glance at the speedo and scream "you're going 100!" Which is just 62 mph. Poor girl, I never corrected her.
canadian speedo.JPG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back