Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

first time drive

ouh506

Just went through state inspection,wow what a let down.
The inspector didn't look at welds , lights , horn , was more concerned
with the right forms. Had to have it weighted ,came in at 2360 # with 1160 # front and 1200 # rear.
I went on the first drive other then just around the block and after about 35 mph the RPU started to wander with the groves in the road and the " tar snakes ".
Front tires are 175/65/ R 15, rears are 265/75 R15, using 32 psi front and rear.
Also I have 1/4 elliptical springs front and rear.
Would playing with tire pressure help ?
I know pictures would help, I just don't know how to get from smart phone to web site.
Thanks

Are your tires radials or bias ply? Any play in the steering? Post a few photos.

Do you have panard bars or some other type of centering devises on the front and rear axles? With 1/4 elliptical springs the shackles can allow side movement and that could cause the car to hunt the road. This just my thinking but I believe the front suspension would be the worst due to the fact you are pushing the front wheels. In the rear the axle and wheels are trailing and I would think less likely to wander. Again, this is just my thinking and could be completely wrong. Either way you do need tight shackle bushings front and rear. And just so you will know, I do like 1/4 elliptical systems a lot!

George

Track T-4
I have radials front and rear.
I do not know how to post pictures.

fluidfloyd
No panard front or rear.
No shackles , using the top spring as a radius rod.
Steering box is a type 3 vw box.bought used ,will order a new one today.
Tire pressure a factor??

I have quarter elliptical springs with a cross steer system on my car and here is a picture that may help you installing one on your ride.

You really need some sort of locating system on the rear be it a panhard bar, triangulated four bar, watts link or a wishbone locator. I elected to go with a wishbone locator on my car and here is a picture of the system on my car.

Jim

Do the easy thing first. With the light weight on the front, the tires may be up on the ball. Let the pressure down to increase contact to max. The grooves in the road now will have to overcome more than just the crown of the tread. I am sure you get the idea so I won't beat it to death. As easy as this is go for broke and bleed both ends down from the git go.

IMG_0648.jpg

Jim...I must have looked your car over a hundred times and somehow I don't remember seeing that you had 1/4 elliptic springs in the front. I really am glad you posted this picture as it shows the correct way these systems should be. People tend to believe that those half springs will locate the axle by their self. What they don't realize is that when one wheel goes up (or body roll down) stacked and even single leaf springs can and will roll or twist to some degree forcing the axle to move to the opposite side. Even when not using shackles the single rubber or poly bushing will deflect or compress enough to allow allow movement and it doesn't take much to feel it in tracking issues. Add to that a cross steer setup and it just amplifies the movement. These cars are not family sedans and as such they handle much quicker and notice road irregularities much faster. I feel that the safe design and positive location in these cars is the number one priority to keeping yourself safe and in control. Thanks again for showing us all what a well designed chassis looks like. As always there are many different types of suspension and most all will work equally as well but they have to be correct. Your car as always reflected that and you and your son should be proud. Take care.

George

IMG_0648.jpg

Jim...I must have looked your car over a hundred times and somehow I don't remember seeing that you had 1/4 elliptic springs in the front. I really am glad you posted this picture as it shows the correct way these systems should be. People tend to believe that those half springs will locate the axle by their self. What they don't realize is that when one wheel goes up (or body roll down) stacked and even single leaf springs can and will roll or twist to some degree forcing the axle to move to the opposite side. Even when not using shackles the single rubber or poly bushing will deflect or compress enough to allow allow movement and it doesn't take much to feel it in tracking issues. Add to that a cross steer setup and it just amplifies the movement. These cars are not family sedans and as such they handle much quicker and notice road irregularities much faster. I feel that the safe design and positive location in these cars is the number one priority to keeping yourself safe and in control. Thanks again for showing us all what a well designed chassis looks like. As always there are many different types of suspension and most all will work equally as well but they have to be correct. Your car as always reflected that and you and your son should be proud. Take care.

George

Well said George. Articulation of the front end is mandatory, just how much depends on how and where you drive and the design of the front suspension. 4 Wheelers have an RTI ramp to check their vehicles for off roading and rock climbing. You can use the same ramp, or similar test to check your own front end to see how it will work.

IMG_0648.jpg

George

Thank you, George, your opinion means a lot to me.

Jim

I guess I just got lucky, because I don't have any lateral location on mine. It seems to work fine. I do have side delivery steering, which wouldn't be as sensitive to lateral location issues. My 4 bars are angled out and that might help.

ouh506 - How much caster are you running? Are the kingpins tight? How much and what kind of toe do you have?

I looked at the pictures of your front and I'm wondering about the outward angle on the drag link from the box to the spindle. Any lateral movement of the axle would cause a change in steering. Plus the spring/radius rod 4 bar setup appears quite a bit shorter than the drag link. This means that they are making 2 different arcs as they move laterally. This could also cause unwanted steering inputs.

Mike

Last edited:
Hotrod45...
Mike... My apology as I had forgot about you having a 1/4 Elliptical spring front suspension system. I can attest to everyone here that you to have a very nice and well thought out car as I have looked it over closely several years back at the Bucket Bash in Mountain Home. Seems the older I get the more I forget! I'll try and remember to tell the VA that next visit. A well thought out and executed ride for sure!

George

mike
I don't see where there can be any lateral movement ("side to side ") as the spring is so close to the frame for 5" of 9" total length.
The angle of the drag link from the steering box to the spindle is 2" deference. It looks a lot worse in the picture.
So if I bent the spindle "arm" to reduce that angle that should make things a lot better ?
The drag link is about 10" longer then the spring.
All this said the spring is very stiff . I can jump on the end of the frame and it will move about 3/4 " .
Thanks for the replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back