Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Flat 'n pretty . . .

That’s why I like a basic small block. No extra stuff hanging all over. Minimal wires, hoses and no covers. Just the beauty of the engine itself. They look clean and simple! And any small block will give you plenty of power to get you in trouble!

I love the old stuff. I know the coyotes, LSX, hellcat, etc are what they are but I enjoy the simple design, raw power that the old engines provide. There is always going to be a faster, stronger, whatever. Just enjoy what you like and ignore the competition demon! I like old tractors, trucks, whatever too. I’ve been contemplating building a ford 9n or 8n with a flat v8. Just as a cool toy.

I could start this on the HAMB if I wanted a fire storm but what constitutes vintage?

Nailhead Buick 53-66
Olds Rocket 49-90
Flathead Ford 32-53
Chevy Small Block 55-05 (But frowned on my many purist why?)
Disc Brakes 60's till present (Frowned on my some purist but I remember drum brakes and I like stopping.
First production fiberglass car 1953 just 30 years younger than a T bucket but draws the ire of many hot rodders.

A lot of these engines look cool but if I want a car to drive I do not want to be stuck out of state looking for a water pump for any of these vintage engines other that a Chevy small block.
Disc brakes are ugly but I like stopping.
The model A is all steel and that is fine but I have glass car. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

There’s going to be an argument on either side of any decision. I agree with guilld, parts being available are quite important. If your rod has to sit in your garage for a couple of weeks waiting for a part, not a great big deal. If you’re broken down on the side of the road, that’s a different story.

Chevy's first V-8 was 265 cubic inches and was an instant hit with hotrodders. I was living in Tampa in 1955 and remember attending Saturday night races at the fairgrounds oval track where 'Buzzy' Reutimann, son of an area Chevrolet dealer kicked butt in his small-block-powered coupe. All of a sudden, the hopped-up flatheads and stove bolts took a back seat.

265.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back