Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ford 302 and AOD

lincolnuT

OK, I know most of you run a Chevvvvy in your Ford but I would only put a Ford in a Ford. I got a problem that I am having trouble fixing.

I have 1978 302 Ford engine and a 1984 AOD Trans from a Lincoln that I am putting in the Chrome T. The problem is a vibration at 1500 RPMs with the Flexplate from the '84 Lincoln it has a 50 oz weight & is a 164 tooth. Everything I have read says I need a 28 oz flexplate with a pre 1980 block and a post 1980 AOD.

I bought a 28 oz flexplate that was supposed to be the one I needed and I solved the vibration but the Converter was pushed into the trans and would not pump any fluid and the car would not go in any gear. So where do I get a 28 oz 164 tooth flexplate shaped the same as the 50 oz 1984 plate?

Any one done this before?

Thanks for any help you guys got.

Mike

OK, I know most of you run a Chevvvvy in your Ford but I would only put a Ford in a Ford. I got a problem that I am having trouble fixing.

I have 1978 302 Ford engine and a 1984 AOD Trans from a Lincoln that I am putting in the Chrome T. The problem is a vibration at 1500 RPMs with the Flexplate from the '84 Lincoln it has a 50 oz weight & is a 164 tooth. Everything I have read says I need a 28 oz flexplate with a pre 1980 block and a post 1980 AOD.

I bought a 28 oz flexplate that was supposed to be the one I needed and I solved the vibration but the Converter was pushed into the trans and would not pump any fluid and the car would not go in any gear. So where do I get a 28 oz 164 tooth flexplate shaped the same as the 50 oz 1984 plate?

Mike
idon't think the weight will not cause vibration the heavier fly wheels are for trucks and large cars for more torque and won't stahl out.find one out of a smaller car the lighter fly wheel will rev faster. i think, if i am wrong they will let us know

Mike
oh ya i do have a chevy with a 700r4.

the weight on the flex plate has to do with the balancing of the engine. An externally balanced engine needs weight on the flex plate and the harmonic balancer. Did you check to make sure the converter is/was seated all the way on the input shaft of the transmission? I know a c-4 should have something like 1 1/8" from the front of the bell housing and the front of the converter. I would check that first.

Hope this helps

the weight on the flex plate has to do with the balancing of the engine. An externally balanced engine needs weight on the flex plate and the harmonic balancer. Did you check to make sure the converter is/was seated all the way on the input shaft of the transmission? I know a c-4 should have something like 1 1/8" from the front of the bell housing and the front of the converter. I would check that first.

Hope this helps
i agree with the balancing part but if it is a 28 or a 50 ounce the weight has nothing to do with it they are all balanced. thats why trere are so many different sizes of harmonic balancers there are about four fit my engine again this has to do with torque and how fast it revs the lighter one rev faster and the heavier ones have more torque i am a chevy guy this maybe different on a ford

Hope this helps
Yes we checked that and it was well seated, to well from what we can tell. I think the Ford made the change because they had to for the AOD. The enging was balanced when it was rebuilt with a 28 oz flexplate because that was what they were going to run. I have changed that plan.

Thanks for the responses..............
Mike

I am using a Ford 302 with AOD trans. The flexplate weight needs to match the engine not the trans. If your trans is not doing anything then that means the convertor is NOT fulling coupled to the transmission and the pump is not turning. You might think you've got the convertor pushed all the way in but it is not. If the proper flexplate is too far forward for proper convertor coupling, make sure the convertor is properly installed in the AOD; install the AOD to the engine; using feeler gauges, measure the gap to the flexplate. Do whatever you need to do to reduce the gap. Spacers on the convertor studs; a spacer between the crankshaft and flexplate. I don't really think you should have to do any of that. Mustang owners have been putting AOD's in older Mustangs for years. Do a web search and see what they do when putting an AOD in a 70's Mustang.

I found this article telling how to install an AOD on an older 302.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/33598/index.html

You will need to get a 28 oz flexplate that is compatable with the AOD.
Thanks Mr Bill that info gives me some where to look for that darn Flexplate that just everyone don't have. You have confirmed all the info I have found. I will talk to them on Tuesday about buying one of these plates.

Thanks again to all that have responed.

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back