Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ford spindle Questions..

LRS30

Its been awhile since I have been in the garage, but I'm back out there, finnaly got my brake kit from speedway, but I am now having a time figuring out my steering arm situation.. The Ford Spindles I have must have been modified thru out the years, as they do not have the steering arm as part of the spindle, and secondly the brake kit I got recommends not using bolt on steering arms with them.. My question is why is it ok to use bolt on steering arms with some kits and not others.. The Arm I have might work if I use longer bolts..I got this set=up From LUMENAL on here and when he used it, it was used with a bolt on arm, which I have but a different brake set up. I am using the GM kit from speedway.. Will using longer grade 8 bolts to mount the arm be a problem, or did I just piss $200 plus bucks away by not noticing that the spindles where modified in the past?? And the recmendation of not using a bolt on arm.Any and all input will be greatful... Ryan

Ryan, Well maybe with the use of bolt on arms with their brake system, the Ackerman may be way off, but that can be corrected with the use of spacers or washers at which ever end of the arm needs to either be in or out, to correct the Ackerman.. You could always weld arms to the top of the spindles, like CCR does to theirs... I do that also... then you can bolt whatever type of brakes you want to the spindles... Let's face it, everybody is going to tell you something different, just look around, and make up your own mind... You bought them, use them...

Ryan,

I don't believe those spindles have been modified, but I could be wrong... the lower steering arms are cast into the spindle, the only one that attaches is the upper one... but you already know that... I think the original upper steering arm was a bolt on... all the pictures I've seen of original spindles show only the lower steering arms cast in...

815d_1.jpg
0100_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure the original upper steering arm looked like this...

11198.jpg

Ted... can you shed some light on this?

LumenAl said:
Ryan,

I don't believe those spindles have been modified, but I could be wrong... the lower steering arms are cast into the spindle, the only one that attaches is the upper one... but you already know that... I think the original upper steering arm was a bolt on... all the pictures I've seen of original spindles show only the lower steering arms cast in...

815d_1.jpg
0100_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure the original upper steering arm looked like this...

11198.jpg

Ted... can you shed some light on this?

YES, there was never an upper steering arm, as these cars all had cross steering, that is why you see the two tie rod mounting holes in the right spindle arm... and never use that blind bolt type of steering arm, they are very dangerous, as they work lose to easy... then fall off... not a good thing.. :D

LRS30 said:
Yhea it was modified. I think I am just gonna run longer grade 8 bolts with Ny-Lock nuts for the steering arm, and work out the bugs from there... This front-end set-up is beautiful, better than I ever could have imagined.. Thank's Again Al...... Ryan
Is there a straight hole or tapered one in the steering arm?

LRS30 said:
Its a straight hole not set up with a ball joint type attachment point..I think.. I will have to check...why do you ask???
If its a taper you sure dont want to put a bolt in it could/will get ugly for you

ryan...if you put some pics up i can walk you thru this

Ron

LumenAl said:
There is no taper to the hole that attaches the upper steering arm to the spindle... the upper steering arm looks close to this... made by Total Performance...

91632019_T.jpg

The upper hole for the steering link is straight on his to, not tapered for tie rod end...
Just checking i don't want the guy getting hurt Al

Ted Brown said:
YES, t.. and never use that blind bolt type of steering arm, they are very dangerous, as they work lose to easy... then fall off... not a good thing.. :buttkick:

I drill bolt heads and safety wire suspension bolts. Havn't had a problem since I started doing that! We won't discuss how I learned THAT lesson!

Speedway i think says a little grinding is needed to get those calipers to work here is what i had to do.

That damn ole Harley is the reason u have no room let me give you an address to send that darn thing to .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back