Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front and rear axle width?

a1a1967

What are some good front and rear axle widths (wheel flange to wheel flange) to shoot for. I would like a good turning radius and for the T to look proportional. Thanks and keep in mind I'm looking at my first build.

I just went to the garage and measured mine and it is 57.8125" or 57 13/16" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.

Jim

When we narrow rear ends and can make them what ever we want we make them 53". That is wheel mounting to wheel mounting.
The front axles are 48" king pin center to king pin center, then add approximately 5" each side for the spindle and brake set up. 58" total.

Its important to note what size tires you plan on running in the back. If you want wide steamrollers, you'll want a 53-55" rear axle. If you are running narrower old-school tires, you may want a bit wider axle 56-58". It also depends on the body - a wider 26-27 or a widened body will need the 57-58" axle.

On our last build, we used a F1 truck axle on the front which is a few inches wider than a passenger axle - thus we needed a wider axle in back as we ran 235/75/15 whitewalls.

Reactions: RPM
Back spacing of the wheels, also is a factor. I use S10 rears and they're 54.5 inchs WMS to WMS. My wheels have a 3.50 back space. My front axle is 47.0 inches, king pin to king pin.

Have to be honest here. My rear width was decided by my garage (UK garages are not like USA ones) . I allowed 1/2" clearance both sides to the opening and made the rear end to suit. I really wanted another 4" width on the back end but it would have meant no where safe to hide the T when it was not being used.

Reactions: RPM
Have to be honest here. My rear width was decided by my garage (UK garages are not like USA ones) . I allowed 1/2" clearance both sides to the opening and made the rear end to suit. I really wanted another 4" width on the back end but it would have meant no where safe to hide the T when it was not being used.

I've had the pleasure of visiting your country. I feel your pain.

For my hopefully upcoming build the rear axle width was determined by a combination the need to fit a 3"-4" widened body pretty far back between the tires, without the tires rubbing on the body with the articulation of a triangulated 4-link suspension...plus a high 3.something ratio...plus an affordable price. That ended up being a Ford 8.8" from a Thunderbird, with a WMS to WMS width of 61.5".

The front axle width needed to be as wide as possible...to not look too out of place with the wide rear axle...while not being too pricey. That ended up being a 48" kingpin width axle. I found wider units, but they were beyond my budget.

I might add to my previous post that my kingpins measure 48 3/16" center to center. My rear housing is a '96 S10 two wheel drive unit.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back