Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear end width advice

trogdor

I have a standard Speedway 1923 tbucket frame. I found a really nice rear end, but it is 63" from wheel mounting surface to mounting surface. I plan to put 10" tires on the back. This rear end is almost 10" wider than the S10 ones I was looking at. Would it look odd? Would there be any other concerns?

I think it's really a matter of taste, appearance, and how the body, tires, and bed fits. My Ford 9" rear end is also 63". Once I put the aluminum wheels on with 12" Mickey Thompson tires, it will provide a wide stance that allows enough clearance with the body and bed. Make sure you verify your distance measurements.

IMG_5296.jpg

@trogdor

You are probably not thinking about a trailer at this point but someone else might be that reads this thread later. But if a trailer is in your future, then consider that they can only be so wide. What's called an 8 foot wide trailer is about 80" between the inside wheel wells. My car is about 3/8" wider than that but will slide in place. I'm usually making 2-3 approaches before I get the car centered well enough to slide into place.

Changing to shinny tire every time you load the car will be a hassle, then you have to change them again when you get where you are going.

FP09_TBucketFrontWheelPosition_02160.jpg

So your tires bind on the wheel wells?

You're right, I haven't thought of a trailer. Interesting. If I may, what are your rear end/tire measurements in that picture?

You're right, I haven't thought of a trailer. Interesting. If I may, what are your rear end/tire measurements in that picture?
Those tires are 31x16 R15, so that's about 13.5" on the ground per tire. The sidewalls are 16" wide.

Depending on the wheels you select, you can use wheel offset to bring the tire close to your bed/ turtledeck. Some wheels come in more than one offset.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back