Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Axle Replacement

sschutze

Ron,

I hear you might be able to help me. If you remember my post in the Suspension section, I am trying to correct a severe positive camber issue on the front axle of my T. It rides straight and true, but I would like to eliminate the excessive tire wear that I'm sure is going to occure, and improve the look of the front end.

Someone mentioned you might be able to build a front axle to correct the camber.

My axle measures approximately 51" across the top of the king pins (center to center), 37 ¼" at the spring perches and has a 32½" Spring.
The front tires sit at approximately 5 degrees positive camber right now. The existing axle king pins sit at about 4½ degrees negative camber with the axle sitting level.

Hopefully this helps, if you need any measurements or pics let me know.
tb_front.jpg

We don't have way to make that particular axle. Making an axle is no problem. The problem is getting those 2 bolt holes in PERFECT alignment for the spring perch bolts. Then getting the angle on them for the correct caster setting. Our milling machine is just not big enough to put those holes in correctly.

Ron,

I hear you might be able to help me. If you remember my post in the Suspension section, I am trying to correct a severe positive camber issue on the front axle of my T. It rides straight and true, but I would like to eliminate the excessive tire wear that I'm sure is going to occure, and improve the look of the front end.

Someone mentioned you might be able to build a front axle to correct the camber.

My axle measures approximately 51" across the top of the king pins (center to center), 37 ¼" at the spring perches and has a 32½" Spring.
The front tires sit at approximately 5 degrees positive camber right now. The existing axle king pins sit at about 4½ degrees negative camber with the axle sitting level.

Hopefully this helps, if you need any measurements or pics let me know.
tb_front.jpg

From the looks of the picture, the axle must have been modified at one time. Just inward of the spring perch holes it appears that the axle was cut, welded or bent, or something. Maybe it could be heated and rebent again to correct the camber.

I would check with a front end shop that works on trucks, maybe they could bend the axle to the right caster. A good front end man would know

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back