Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Axle Twist

LongT

When I use the brakes I've noticed that the front axle twists slightly from the stopping force. By that I mean I can see the calipers rotating forward as they apply pressure to the rotor. It isn't much but I can see it. It looks like it is from the four bar out as the bars them selves seem to stay straight. Anyone else notice this? I don't know who built the axle but I'm guessing Speedway.

Bill

LongT said:
When I use the brakes I've noticed that the front axle twists slightly from the stopping force. By that I mean I can see the calipers rotating forward as they apply pressure to the rotor. It isn't much but I can see it. It looks like it is from the four bar out as the bars them selves seem to stay straight. Anyone else notice this? I don't know who built the axle but I'm guessing Speedway.

Bill

Yep I have seen that too, does not seem to hurt anything. I have the Total Performance axle in mine.

In an emergency stop(trying to avoid a speeding ticket) the front tires actually hopped as they loaded then unloaded when the limit of traction of the front tires was reached. (the axel rotated a small bit each time)
I don't think it will cause a problem until wear and tear creates enough slack in the front end.

LongT said:

Bill

The more drop in the axle,the more that happens,with the big drop axles it will even make the front tires skip. I like 1948 type ford axle best my self,it has stock drop that is nice looking as is,but too each his own.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back