Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

front axle

ironhead40

has anyone used the front axele out of the older trucks like the 57 chevy or the 59 fords . I'm starting a project with a corvette assembly and ,I'm looking for front assemblies to use ,Just not sure which way to go,the drop tube ones look a little weak .

has anyone used the front axele out of the older trucks like the 57 chevy or the 59 fords . I'm starting a project with a corvette assembly and ,I'm looking for front assemblies to use ,Just not sure which way to go,the drop tube ones look a little weak .
I am building my T-bucket now and I used a front axle out of a 1954 Chevy truck,Go check my photos My link

I used a axle from a 65 chevy vanIMG_1602 (Small).JPG

You can use the axle from just about anything. You just have to make it work, with adapters and stuff.

On the tube axles, being weak! The tube axle that we manufacture and sell is made from 2" tube with a 1/4" wall thickness, anything but weak. It takes about 10 tons of pressure to make the bends.

I am using a drop tube axle and would recommend going that way unless you have everything already figured out and parts located that way you can get every thing that goes together at one time and save yourself some problems. I am using an axle that uses the ford spindles because I got a good buy on the axle but would recommend the chevy spindle set up.RPM carries everything you will need at a good price. good luck with your build.
<

Here is a picture I took of a "rat-rod" with a PU axle, I dunno if you can make out the brackets or not, I'll look for a better picture. It's not too hard to do, I have seen several that have narrowed the axle too.
I think if you do a search of this Forum you will find some really neat drawings by George Barnes and some other pictures of bracket ideas.We have hashed this idea around on here a few times ......Good Luck! "BH"

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q191/62cad/IMG_1256.jpg

Here is a picture of some front axle brackets that we made for this high school project. We built the basic frame and the students have assembled all the brackets on it. It uses the stock axle from the 48 GMC.
p1511439706_2460.jpg

p38568363_2374.jpg

I've been trying to stay out of this but feel the need to add my 2 cents. Each and every T that you guy are buildin is going to be sold one day. There are some things a buyer will look for. One is the frontend/axel set up. True the pick up axels will work and in the case of the Chebby pick up it is accepted. On a 'T' however a tube axel with hair pins is going to cost more to build but WILL bring a much bigger return. The front suspension is where you want to spend the buck$. A nice 'T' with a vette rear and a pick up axel is going to get a lot of tire kickers. Just my opinion.

Ron

I've been trying to stay out of this but feel the need to add my 2 cents. Each and every T that you guy are buildin is going to be sold one day. There are some things a buyer will look for. One is the frontend/axel set up. True the pick up axels will work and in the case of the Chebby pick up it is accepted. On a 'T' however a tube axel with hair pins is going to cost more to build but WILL bring a much bigger return. The front suspension is where you want to spend the buck$. A nice 'T' with a vette rear and a pick up axel is going to get a lot of tire kickers. Just my opinion.

Ron

Ron is absolutely right. We have built some white elephants and while we liked it and enjoyed it, you just about have to give it away when you are done playing with it. You might save a few hundred $$$ using a truck axle but it will cost you thousand in resale later.

I agree with Youngster.

Besides, the truck axles are/appear considerably heavier than a tube or traditional I-beam axle. This increases your unsprung weight and makes a significant contribution to marginal ride quality.

While on the subject of axles, I will only use a forged front axle. Maybe a fabrciated tube, but no cast axles for me.

frame prioject 004.JPGframe prioject 004.JPG
I agree with Youngster.

Besides, the truck axles are/appear considerably heavier than a tube or traditional I-beam axle. This increases your unsprung weight and makes a significant contribution to marginal ride quality.

While on the subject of axles, I will only use a forged front axle. Maybe a fabrciated tube, but no cast axles for me.

What is the diferance in the strenth of both and is the old I beam axels with the wishbone setup forged or cast ,A friend gave me one of the old ford axele setup today and was woundering what it was it had the wishbone with it and still had the mechanical breaks still on it .

Not that this really matters, since no one is going to use one, but I think the original Model T axles were castings. Model A's and up are forgings.

I believe the 'T' axels where forged too.

Ron

good sunday afternoon , well i am building a rat rod and plan on using a droped axle out of a 61 or so ford econoline backing plate to backing plate is 54" i see on e-bay that i can buy all the brackets that will be needed to use it , what i have is a 29 ford truck that someone has extended to make a pannel looks very cool , ok my Q first how did this set up work for you, and next since this is my first rod that i have built , should i use a kick up at the rear or just a flat frame, now i have heard every one say that using a truck front end will decrease resale, not very important to me, but what is, is building something fun driving the hell out of it, leave it to some one after i kick and let them enjoy it. once i figure out how to load some pictures i will , it's choped but all of 74" long and 47" from the floor pan to the roof. my email craderh@cox.net.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back