Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front crossmember thickness

swatman260

I'm in the process of buying my frame metal, and have the 2x3 tube and my 3/8" plate for brackets. That leaves my 2 1/2" front crossmember, which has been hard to source locally. I've located a 2 1/2" mechanical tube at a local shop, but it's 3/8" wall thickness. The CCR plans I'm using call for .188". Would there be a disadvantage to using a thicker tube? Would it cause any weird suspension issues because it would be more twist resistant?

When I built mine all that was available locally was 5/16" , just be sure to burn it in good !

dave

We use 2 1/2" gas pipe. It is a good grade of steel and meant to be welded. The 2 1/2 is the inside with the od about 2 7/8. We have plenty here if you just need to buy a short section and all you can find is a full length.

Looking at some technical websites, I see that sch 40 gas pipe has a nominal wall thickness of .20 on a 2 1/2 pipe...so I would assume that I can use sch 40 safely? If so, most all of the supply places around here carry it. It is the dom steel that no one carries...

Try Ebay, you can usually find a steel supplier selling short lengths. I bought different wall thickness and diameters from the same supplier and they shipped them in a banded bundle and the freight wasn't too bad.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back