Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front license plate

rubicon

How many of you guys are running front license plates? If you are, how are you attaching it and where?

Mine is a simple attachment, using a piece of 1" steel strap with holes in each end corresponding to the license plate holes, ,and a slight "u" shape so the strap contacts the license plate near the holes, but stands off from the plate 1/8" or so. It is attached to the axle with a couple of screw clamps,and . . . badda-bing, a front license plate!
20170201_100026.jpg

That was one thing that I didn't have to worry about when I moved from Ohio to Florida. NO FRONT PLATE!

Jim

I have one on the front ,don't like the looks ,but it is the law in Iowa. Like to be legal, so they don't have a reason to stop me. And find something else wrong [like noisy pipes.] I know there is louder pipes on some motorcycles . Oh well.......

In Wisconsin there was talk about eliminating the front plate to save cost. Seems the police did not like the idea. I don't know about you but, it is very hard to read a plate as it goes by at 45 mph or more. I can't remember the numbers any way. I also see a lot of cars without the front plate. Wonder what the fine is?

In Wisconsin there was talk about eliminating the front plate to save cost. Seems the police did not like the idea. I don't know about you but, it is very hard to read a plate as it goes by at 45 mph or more. I can't remember the numbers any way. I also see a lot of cars without the front plate. Wonder what the fine is?
I remember reading in The Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper of the police running tests on the use of a front plate for speed enforcement. They found that with the "reflective" front plate they could clock your speed many yards farther away as compared to a "non reflective" plate. They also found that a light colored car or one with lots of chrome on the front end was easier to clock than a dark car.

Jim

Last edited:
Any creative ways to mount a plate on the front of a T-Bucket? The Speedway Motor brackets are expensive!

Thanks for all the replies. I never gave it a thought about using the plate as a target for radar. I follow the speed limits all the time any way. Well.....before I had "T" now it might be optional. I like the "Growing older is mandatory, Growing up is optional.' I'll keep that in mind when I'm on the road.

If you are worried about the license helping radar just lean it back and the waves will reflect up and not return to " sender".

I read about a cover that was supposed to absorb the lazer beam so it doesn't reflect. No clue if it works, interesting though.

Realisticly the front plate is only one target for speed enforcement on the front of a vehicle. Any shiny/reflective surface works just fine, headlights, front bumpers etc. This is also only an issue for an officer using a laser, standard radar does not necessarily need these factors. I don't like front plates because I think they are ugly. But like others have said, I don't want to give any more reasons than I am probably already giving to stop and say hello.... :)

Justin

I like the CCR bracket. Very sturdy, and since it doubles as the spring plate it cuts down on front end clutter.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back