Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Spring Teflon Liner

Mr. Fixit

Are any of you using the spring liner that speedway has?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flat-Spring-Liners,7471.html

Now that I have been out there with the car having some fun :hey:, I have noticed that the liner is creaping out on the drivers side on the two longest leaves. Anyone else had this problem? Causes or solution??

Thanks,

Yea, I've got it in mine , it crept out a little [maybe 1/4 " and stayed there . spring leaves are not "perfectly flat & parallel be my guess].

dave

You could take the spring apart and epoxy one side to the spring and the it should slip on the other side that is not epoxied. Just a quick idea.

Yea, I've got it in mine , it crept out a little [maybe 1/4 " and stayed there . spring leaves are not "perfectly flat & parallel be my guess].

dave

Mine crept out about 1/2" and I decided to trim it. I guess if it does it two more times, I wont need to worry anymore. LOL

You could take the spring apart and epoxy one side to the spring and the it should slip on the other side that is not epoxied. Just a quick idea.

Similar thought to mine. I was thinking silicone though..

Thanks...

What I did on mine was get some heat shrink for an electrical supplier slid it over the whole spring and shrink wrap it, it keeps the teflon in and any dirt/grit out of the spring. I used black but you can get a few different colors.

What I did on mine was get some heat shrink for an electrical supplier slid it over the whole spring and shrink wrap it, it keeps the teflon in and any dirt/grit out of the spring. I used black but you can get a few different colors.

Hmmm, probably wouldnt look very sexy over my chrome springs. LOL Creative idea though. Thanks,,

Sorry guy's , nothing sticks to it!!

dave

Well, I never had a liner years ago, and pretty soon I probably won't again if it keeps slipping...

That's the nature of the beast. It will keep creaping out no mater what you do. Cool32's suggestion is the only thing I've seen that works. Wait and run the car foe awhile,trim and use the shrink tubing with the weight of the car on the spring.The other thing you could do is to take your spring apart and punch holes in each leaf for the plastic buttons. I believe you can get them from Speedway or Posies.

For you guys that are in the build process, check the teck articals for the one on setting up a Model A rear spring. In it I show how to grind and shape the ends of the leaves. This allows each leaf to work without digging into the one under it. A little bit of graphite at the ends during the assembly will also help.

Ron

That's the nature of the beast. It will keep creaping out no mater what you do. Cool32's suggestion is the only thing I've seen that works. Wait and run the car foe awhile,trim and use the shrink tubing with the weight of the car on the spring.The other thing you could do is to take your spring apart and punch holes in each leaf for the plastic buttons. I believe you can get them from Speedway or Posies.

For you guys that are in the build process, check the teck articals for the one on setting up a Model A rear spring. In it I show how to grind and shape the ends of the leaves. This allows each leaf to work without digging into the one under it. A little bit of graphite at the ends during the assembly will also help.

Ron

My springs are tapered and rounded at the ends of each leaf and apparently this doesnt help anything (in my case) I suppose that the is no harm in not having liner anyway. After all, Henry never used it. Oh wait a minute teflon wasnt invented yet either... Thanks for the suggestions. Next time I take them apart, I will evaluate a new approach.

I replied to this yesterday BUT it didn't show up. TOTAL had a clear spring liner with a lip on both sides. I have it on my front. The stuff never moves. I bought the Speedway stuff but it doesn't fit well.

I replied to this yesterday BUT it didn't show up. TOTAL had a clear spring liner with a lip on both sides. I have it on my front. The stuff never moves. I bought the Speedway stuff but it doesn't fit well.

Do you mean that the Speedway one with the lip didn't fit well? I chose the one without the lip because it it clear, where the one with the lip only comes in black or white.

I had the same issue with teflon tape in my old spring. When I switched to the Posie, it came with the tabs. Works great. Basicly, I think the only issue with not using the strips would be scratching the finish on the spring. It's a cosmetics issue, I guess. The spring without strips MIGHT squeak, but with road noise, I doubt you'd even notice.

Hmmm.... Has anyone tryed using RUBBER instead of teflon? Might do the job.

I had the same issue with teflon tape in my old spring. When I switched to the Posie, it came with the tabs. Works great. Basicly, I think the only issue with not using the strips would be scratching the finish on the spring. It's a cosmetics issue, I guess. The spring without strips MIGHT squeak, but with road noise, I doubt you'd even notice.

Hmmm.... Has anyone tryed using RUBBER instead of teflon? Might do the job.

I agree, the only reason I used anything is the previous spring finish was scratched up. Oh well... Not sure about rubber, I would thing that it would hinder the leaves from sliding as designed.

If you are going with the teflon buttons, have the holes punched in the leaves. Drilling will discolor the chrome. Any shop with an Iron Worker will be able to do this for you. Tell them to use plenty of oil so as not to damage the chrome. When installing the button, use WD-40. Not only dose the button slide in easier but it will help to keep the hole from rusting.

Here's a tip from the old time T racers. They would run a needle bearing from a u-joint about 1" up from the ends of the leaf. I have tried this and it works. You need to run a pretty good shock with this.

Ron

Speedway or Posies will sell them separately.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back