Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front suspension travel?

one finger john

O.K., here is some more theory. After reading the debate about Streetrodman's front suspension, I would like to know how much actual
front suspension travel there is in a typical tube front end set up? That is a fully functioning, 2000 lb., average wheelbase, ready to go T-bucket.
I have seen George Barnes' set up that looked like it had the travel of a rock crawler and I have heard about 2 in. being normal.
Is the travel limited by the transverse leaf spring? Is the movement limited by the way the steering geometry comes into play? Does the length of the radius rods come into play?
Or is it 60 years of tradition unhampered by progress?

Thanks, John.

I'm not sure if we can use theory and practice in the same sentence when dicussing T buckets ... lol

Ron

Well, my shocks only have 4 inches of travel, so that would be two up and two down, or thereabouts. I have never bottomed them out, although I have seen my front wheels get a little light on a hard 1-2 shift. :D:lol:

Don

I put a zip tie on each shock shaft and drove around. Measured the distance from the shock body to the zip tie and got just over 2" my front shocks are pretty verticle so I figured it was a pretty good measurment for one way travel.

I guess you could unload the front suspension with some jack stands and with a tape and a floor jack figure it out pretty close.

chop said:
I put a zip tie on each shock shaft and drove around. Measured the distance from the shock body to the zip tie and got just over 2" my front shocks are pretty verticle so I figured it was a pretty good measurment for one way travel.

I guess you could unload the front suspension with some jack stands and with a tape and a floor jack figure it out pretty close.

I also put a zip tie on my front shocks. mine move about an inch. But they are leaned back pretty far. So that might be 1.5" of axle travel. And that is upward. I would assume the same downward ?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back