Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gas Pedal placement.

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm going to mount my gas pedal 3/4 off the firewall. So I got that covered.
ab.gif

But How high should it be?
How far from the brake pedal?
Should the brake pedal be higher then the gas pedal or the same height?

And please just don't say "what ever feels comfortable".
Josh at Spirit already said that.
ab.gif

I'm looking for some opinions/options here.
Comfortable to me now sitting still in a car I can't drive yet, might not be comfortable to me later when I can drive it.

Thank you.

I'm going to mount my gas pedal 3/4 off the firewall. So I got that covered.
ab.gif

But How high should it be?
How far from the brake pedal?
Should the brake pedal be higher then the gas pedal or the same height?

And please just don't say "what ever feels comfortable".
Josh at Spirit already said that.
ab.gif

I'm looking for some opinions/options here.
Comfortable to me now sitting still in a car I can't drive yet, might not be comfortable to me later when I can drive it.

Thank you.

Hi
I spent hours playing around with the position, height and pedal shape to get it right. The way i did this was to position the brake pedal first so that was easy to get to and easy to operate. Lots of go is good but lots of whooooow is essential.
The pic may give you a starting point

pedal-assembly-(2).jpg

Gerry

Hi
I spent hours playing around with the position, height and pedal shape to get it right. The way i did this was to position the brake pedal first so that was easy to get to and easy to operate. Lots of go is good but lots of whooooow is essential.
The pic may give you a starting point

[attachment=3970:pedal-assembly-(2).jpg]

Gerry
I am in awe of your craftsmanship Gerry.

Jim

A lot of kits are welded to the inside of frame next to transmission. Which ends up by putting the brake pedal back from the throttle due to romm between trans and frame. Nice workmanship on Gerry's with an extension rod coming forward. But don't mount exactly like Gerry has his because passenger will have control of throttle and brake. He seem to do quite a bit with excellent craftsmanship but any thing with driver seems to be done backwards.Lol
Here is a setup made by Rpm My link

"And please just don't say "what ever feels comfortable".
Josh at Spirit already said that."

OK I won't sat it then. No 2 cars or drivers are the same. So what works for me won't work for you. I am 6'2" and 300 lbs and if you are 5' you might not be able to reach the pedals good in my car or vice versa.

I have a Spirit car... the brake pedal position was already pre-set by Spririt's design. I used their '27 brake arm because the '23 arm put the pedal to the left of the column, which I didn't like. With the brake arm and pedal pad in place, I sat in the driver's seat and rested my right foot comfortably to the right of the brake. My heal ended up resting right in the little valley where the floor transitions to the hump. I held my foot at a comfortable height and angle and had a helper hold the gas pedal in place and mark the mounting holes. After driving it for one season, I decided the gas pedal was a little too far to the right, so I swapped the pedal arm from right side of the swivel to the left. I had to bend the arm to the throttle cable a little to the right to keep it lined up, but it all worked out fine. I like it much better where it is now. I'll get a pic up in a little while.

This is the long way of saying, "what ever feels comfortable."

Just one strong suggestion: don't get the two pedals so close your big foot can hit both simultaneously. I did...once.

I have a Spirit car... the brake pedal position was already pre-set by Spririt's design. I used their '27 brake arm because the '23 arm put the pedal to the left of the column, which I didn't like. With the brake arm and pedal pad in place, I sat in the driver's seat and rested my right foot comfortably to the right of the brake. My heal ended up resting right in the little valley where the floor transitions to the hump. I held my foot at a comfortable height and angle and had a helper hold the gas pedal in place and mark the mounting holes. After driving it for one season, I decided the gas pedal was a little too far to the right, so I swapped the pedal arm from right side of the swivel to the left. I had to bend the arm to the throttle cable a little to the right to keep it lined up, but it all worked out fine. I like it much better where it is now. I'll get a pic up in a little while.

I also have a spirit setup. With my brake pedal installed.
Looks like yours is over about 4" from the brake pedal??

I measured the distance between my brake and gas pedal on my Celica and my Van.
Van 2"
Celica 3 1/4"

What sucks is this is whats holding me up from going any further. lol

A lot of kits are welded to the inside of frame next to transmission. Which ends up by putting the brake pedal back from the throttle due to romm between trans and frame. Nice workmanship on Gerry's with an extension rod coming forward. But don't mount exactly like Gerry has his because passenger will have control of throttle and brake. He seem to do quite a bit with excellent craftsmanship but any thing with driver seems to be done backwards.Lol
Here is a setup made by Rpm My link

I knew I was doing something wrong, just could n't put my finger on it!!!!!!
gerry

Well here I go with my HO about the pedal arrangement.. after driving many different T Buckets and building many more, I believe the brake pedal pad or pads need to be reached by the LEFT foot or both in a panic situation, so both sides of the steering column, and not that close as to have it get in the way of the gas pedal, which should have a rest for your foot on the right side, like any stock car has... I get the leverage short to the foot, so I can keep the pedal itself close to the floor, as that is where you want it at full pedal, on the floor, so as not to bend any linkage when pressed hard down, that is the perfect stop... In my new chassis the gas pedal will be look like a foot with the right side as the rest for your foot. It will pivot close to 3/4 down for the mounting position and will be spring loaded.. Mt ratio is 3 inches from the center pivot {of pedal assembly}to the foot and 5 1/2 inches from center pivot to the pull rod to the carb, my foot travels 1 1/2" to the floor pressing on a 3" round slightly curved pedal... a smaller foot pedal will end up feeling like a rock to center of the bottom of your foot on a long drive otherwise... and like everyone agrees to, comfort is KEY!!! :) You may as well wait till you finish growing to position your pedals, for what is comfy now, may not be in a year or two...

Well, After hours of moving the gas pedal around (little left- little right- up- down). I thought humm, maybe I should put the shifter in. New problem or maybe not. My leg leans on the shifter nob. If I lift my leg off it, It hits the steering wheel.
Anyone else have this problem?

Some info about the inside of my car.
I'm using the 6" shifter.
Seats 2" high off the floor.
Sorry for the cell phone night time pics.
as you can see I still haven't placed the gas pedal yet. LOL.

[attachment=4000:Apr19_0001.jpg]

[attachment=4001:Apr19_0002.jpg]

Well, After hours of moving the gas pedal around (little left- little right- up- down). I thought humm, maybe I should put the shifter in. New problem or maybe not. My leg leans on the shifter nob. If I lift my leg off it, It hits the steering wheel.
Anyone else have this problem?

Some info about the inside of my car.
I'm using the 6" shifter.
Seats 2" high off the floor.
Sorry for the cell phone night time pics.
as you can see I still haven't placed the gas pedal yet. LOL.

[attachment=4000:Apr19_0001.jpg]

[attachment=4001:Apr19_0002.jpg]

I had the same problem with my leg resting on my Lokar shifter. I solved it by shortening the handle and moving the shifter forward on the adjustable mount. It works great, no more interference.

IMG_0635.jpg

Jim

Don't have a pic but My knee also hit mine shortened the shifter also.

My leg leans on the shifter nob. Anyone else have this problem?
I have the same problem. My calf rests against the knob and leaves a bruise after driving for awhile. I have a longer shaft to swap out and I want to move the shifter forward as Jim did, but I'm going to have to unbolt the body and raise it a couple inches off the frame to get to the bolts on the shifter mount. Not something I'm looking forward to.

I have the same problem. My calf rests against the knob and leaves a bruise after driving for awhile. I have a longer shaft to swap out and I want to move the shifter forward as Jim did, but I'm going to have to unbolt the body and raise it a couple inches off the frame to get to the bolts on the shifter mount. Not something I'm looking forward to.

Same problem here. I'll get a pic when I'm out in the barn later.

Same problem here. I'll get a pic when I'm out in the barn later.

You could always put the shifter on the column???

Steering-column-final-(35).jpg

I have looked at a few aftermarket column shifters and its not that hard. A lever... a rod... another lever and a linkage with some hemi joints.If you have the time have a look at one and see how simple it is. Leaves your floor free and put the shifter where it should be on a T
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back