Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gas tank size

Just some info to use some may know some may not. Anyway there are 231 cubic inches in a gallon. The length x height x width = the totla cubic inches in a tank then divide by 231. That will give you the gallons.

I am not crazy about tanks under seats, but we can build what ever you want. The caps we normally use are vented with a one way check valve in them. From the top of the tank to the top of the cap allow 2" for neck and cap.

Just a note we make all of Spirits tanks so if you have a Spirit car, I have the blueprint for the tank. So do go to a lot of trouble measuring everything. Just let me know if it is a 23 or 27.

i played with the idea of saddle tanks but went with a stock T tank mounted behind the body.one nice feature of the saddle tank would be a reserve fuel supply. i am mounting a small reserve tank under the body opposite the battery box as i am not running a fuel guage. i hate walking down busy hiways!

Ron

I put a 1919 Ford tank under the seat in my steel 16 body about 45 years ago. when doing a burn out the drive shaft broke and exploded the battery but only dented the tank. I guess henry used good steel in the old days. I would put a scatter shield around the drive shaft if I did a saddle tank.

I've got a 14 gallon tank from CCR.

oldtman said:
I put a 1919 Ford tank under the seat in my steel 16 body about 45 years ago. when doing a burn out the drive shaft broke and exploded the battery but only dented the tank. I guess henry used good steel in the old days. I would put a scatter shield around the drive shaft if I did a saddle tank.

Holy Hell, I bet that was a "butt-puckering" experience.:eek:

My friend Hawley had a 65 mustang in high school (I-6 3spd) he was rearended at a stoplight by a F350 or something equally huge...The tank is basically the floor of the trunk. Tank ruptured and the resulting fire and super heated fumes seared Hawleys face and neck pretty bad. They figure when he was shoved into the car infront of him, it caused him to lean backwards over the lowbacked bucket seat and thats how he got burned so bad. His lungs were seared and they brought in a Priest for last rites. He made it, lot of skin grafts but hes alive.
I know T's arent exactly safe...but if youre running a tank in a bed, Id consider a tank with a bladder. I know Nervous Nelly. but you guys are my friends and Id hate to see an old 1919 T tank lead to the first Model T in space LOL

I'm on the other side of the fence. Stopping to stretch is one thing, but I'd rather have a range. By my calculations, I have between 26 and 28 gallons. Let's roll! It fit s in my deck, 2 inches wider than the fram, and tucks in between the frame rails to give me a reserve.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back