Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

glue

Francis Blake

I am going to get some marine plywood today so I have a couple of questions. I seem to remember someone on here saying the fiberglass has to be cleaned with acetone before gluing to it, and is liquid nails ok or do I have to use epoxy?

The fiberglass needs to be wiped with acetone to get the wax off it. Polyester resins have a wax in them that rises to the surface to aid curing. And it needs to be wiped off. And also sand the fiberglass to scuff it before glueing.
I have seen on forums a lot of people say they use liquid nails. I'v never tried it though. I use bondo.

The fiberglass needs to be wiped with acetone to get the wax off it. Polyester resins have a wax in them that rises to the surface to aid curing. And it needs to be wiped off. And also sand the fiberglass to scuff it before glueing.
I have seen on forums a lot of people say they use liquid nails. I'v never tried it though. I use bondo.

I agree with LKE on the prep. I like to use matt and resin to install floors. The best way to see how effective an attaching method works is to take one apart. I have rebuilt a few bodies or replaced floors. Did one that was "glued" in and was amazed how easy it came apart.

Ron

Oh floors LOL I was thinking wood blocks around the edge. I have never seen anyone used liquid nails only to fasyen a floor in. On floors, I put bondo in to fill any gaps, then use resin and mat to bond the floor to the body. I buy a lot of my 'glass in 6" strips, and two strips on top and two on the bottom makes a very strong conection.

Thanks guys I sure don't want this coming apart so it will be mat and resin.
I always use 2 layers of mat,NOT CLOTH, cut in 2" strips about 12" long. 2" strips can be pulled apart with your hands easily to make whatever size you need. No one has mentioned rollers. Rolling the wet fiberblas to remove air bubbles is a very important step. Be sure to plug any holes with either bondo or a strip of masking tape. The way to find these holes is to place a droplight under the car or body and the light will shine through any holes. I like to restore old rusted out floors on 'Field-Poppys' by covering them with 2 layers of mat in this way. The floors will last forever. Then spray underneath with a heavy coat of rubberized undercoating. If you leave a hole that water will leak through, then the resin will to. When you've about used up your resin or if it starts to gel, dump it on the mat and spread it quickly with your brush. Use acetone to clean your hands and brush, it doesn't burn like lacquer thinner.I'm also a carpenter.'Liquid Nails' is good for wood to wood. Use 'Tiger Hair', a resin impregnated,chopped strand,fiberglas in a can that you mix just like Bondo. It's available through Body supply stores. Bondo is simply resin impregnated clay and lacks the strengh of 'Tiger Hair' Hope this helps. Chester Greenhalgh

Thanks Chaster, I should been more specific about what I am doing. I am putting wood over the floor in a spirit 27 t body so it is all fiberglass should not be any holes to worry about,mat and resin is the way to go, thanks for the tip about using a roller I had forgotten about that. :thumb:

Thanks Chaster, I should been more specific about what I am doing. I am putting wood over the floor in a spirit 27 t body so it is all fiberglass should not be any holes to worry about,mat and resin is the way to go, thanks for the tip about using a roller I had forgotten about that.
wow.gif

I glued mine first to hold it in place, then used matt and resin. I used Gorilla glue for holding as it bonds real well to wood and glass. I tried liquid nails and the marine stuff, but found that it was really messy and didn;t hold as well as I'd like.

I glued mine first to hold it in place, then used matt and resin. I used Gorilla glue for holding as it bonds real well to wood and glass. I tried liquid nails and the marine stuff, but found that it was really messy and didn;t hold as well as I'd like.

Here is a pic of the floor after glassing. My body had a 3" flange that the floor could sit on, so I glued it in place first, then used heavy woven matte to glass it to the body. It is glassed on both sides, although I used a thinner matte on the bottom so it could be smoothed out.

Bens27185.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back