Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

GMC V-6 60 degree from the 60's

Swampdog

Has anyone ever seen a 60's GMC V-6 (60 degree) put in a T Bucket?
They had a 305 cubic inch and one around 350 cubic inch. They had huge bores size. Weighed a ton. There was even An engine with two bolted together, V-12, for the bigger trucks. I haven't seen one in years.

Has anyone ever seen a 60's GMC V-6 (60 degree) put in a T Bucket?
They had a 305 cubic inch and one around 350 cubic inch. They had huge bores size. Weighed a ton. There was even An engine with two bolted together, V-12, for the bigger trucks. I haven't seen one in years.
I haven't seen one in anything other than busses and trucks. Cool idea, I bet the weight is a bit much. They had a lot of torque, but the 292 I6 was preferred by most of the guys that I knew with them. I never messed with them much.

They were some cool engines, I've always liked them and plan to use one in a hot rod of some sort one day just for the unique aspect. They came in sizes up to 478 cubic inches with a bore of over 5 inches! They also had a 60 degree V-8 based on the same engine that was 637 cubic inches and yes, the V-12 702 inch engine. My dad used to have a 305 version and that's what brought me to love them, I always thought it was cool how the spark plugs went in from the intake manifold side of the head.

I believe I saw a pic of one in some kind of rat rod. My dad had one of the V6's in a welding truck. Not much for speed, but it was a torque monster! I also saw a pic of a bucket with a pretty good sized diesel engine.

I believe I saw a pic of one in some kind of rat rod. My dad had one of the V6's in a welding truck. Not much for speed, but it was a torque monster! I also saw a pic of a bucket with a pretty good sized diesel engine.
They weren't shy about drinking fuel. That was the complaint I heard about them, but they would pull. I have seen them in anything from pick up trucks to busses. Diesels are heavy too. I would be interested to see the front suspension on that t. I like things that are different, but I doubt a diesel would be my choice. I recently sold some 7.3 idi parts to a friend who is putting one in a 65 ford pickup.

They've always intrigued me, mostly from the "off the wall" factor. I'd put them in the same group as the old straight 8s and such. If you are looking for performance, no...but if you are going for a cool cruiser, go for it.

Speedway Museum had a neat V16 SBC, we all stood there thinking, "yeah, I could put that in a t bucket!"

DSC04730.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back