Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gotta Love It

Track-T

Sorta like it is.....
sheeprod.jpg

Too funny and too true. I subscribed to that for a few years. I got it for the advertising when I built my first one to get the names of parts suppliers. When the car was finished I dropped the subscription. Haven't looked at an issue since.

I just recently let mine lapse too. Now, I just check their website for the tech tips and anything else I can use. Sadly, the days of good car mags may be behind us.

I'm thinking Rod&Custom is making a come back. The last few issues haven't been too bad. As far as Street Rodder goes, it's all about the aftermarket industry now. They showed a spark of life when Jim Rizzo joined the staff, But you gotta look real hard to find anything by hin now. He must be pi**ing someone off again. I think the biggest problem they're having is finding someone with a basic knowledge of Hot Rods!! All these new guys with their college journalism certificates know how to write a story, but don't really understand the topic they're writing about. They look back at some issues from a decade or so and just rewrite the text. Sorry but I've been buying and studing these mags since I was old enough to walk into the ol' Rexall drug store, sit down on the mag rack and read the latest Rod&Custom, Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc. Those mags were written by rodders for rodders.

:D:sorry::whistle:

Ron

Youngster said:
Sorry but I've been buying and studing these mags since I was old enough to walk into the ol' Rexall drug store, sit down on the mag rack and read the latest Rod&Custom, Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc. Those mags were written by rodders for rodders.

Ron

Amen to that. Been there, man. Growing up, my brother and I never subscribed, we'd read 'em at the store or bug our dad to get them. I grew up with Baskerville as a best friend through Hot Rod. Those guys kept the fire going for me.

I subscribe to more magazines than should be allowed....:D
HOT ROD
Rod & Custom
Street Rodder
Ol Skool Rodz
Under Car Digest
Motor
Engine Builder
North West Crusin
Guns N Ammo
American Rifleman
Mother Earth News
Yea, I know....I like mail ! :eek:
But I told Cyndy a few weeks ago, thats It, don't renew anymore car magazines ! Except maybe Hot Rod..I know lots don't like it, but it's got a little new , a little old, so least I can kinda keep up with whats out there. Last few years they have had a really good articles on old Chevy 6's, 409's, Olds, Flatheads, and it's neat to see the new technoligy going into these old engines again. So for $12.00 year, I might keep it goin, but the rest are going to get the axe !!
Your right about the guys incharge at these magazines, most don't have a clue, never worked on or built anything themselves, just go to school get a degree, want something and sit back and throw money at it til it's the way they want it and thats their idea of hot rodding....To each his own, I guess thats what makes the world go round.....LOL
Ooopppppppps, another soap box post......Sorry !:eek: "BH"

Now that is funny! I have to admit though, I like the classic 32. So I must be a Lemming!

Take care,

David

Yeah, and they've got the nerve to call T buckets "belly botton" cars.

Ron

Youngster said:
Yeah, and they've got the nerve to call T buckets "belly botton" cars.

Ron

It always irked me that they called 'em "Fad T's"
Sure is a heck of a long fad.

BH, I didn't realize Mother Earth News was still around. I bet I haven't seen a copy of that in 20 years.

Subscriptions seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper, as the publishers get hungrier and hungrier. But I get more than a little torqued at getting subscription renewal notices 6 months ahead of time. Hear what I'm saying, $treet Rodder? :twisted:

Then again, with all the ad content in some of these magazines, the subscriptions need to get a lot cheaper. :confused:

Mike said:
BH, I didn't realize Mother Earth News was still around. I bet I haven't seen a copy of that in 20 years.

Must have been for the homebrew articles...lol

RodnCustom is about the only mag that interests me...latest issue has a neat how-to make your own 348/409 valve covers article.
Hot Rod is way out of my league, you need to take out a second mortgage to afford their engine builds.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back