Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ground my left index finger with my grinder

AndyMenon

Gents,

My build has come to a "grinding" halt. I was reworking the badly designed Total performance shock mounts when the grinder slipped and gouged a piece of my left index finger. :sos:

Was it not for the glove, the wheel would've reshaped my finger completely instead of the shock mount. My wife was able to bandage me up real tight. :rolleyes:

I'm under house arrest right now and my wife won't let me anywhere near my beloved bucket.

:jawdrop:

Could someone please design an Emoticon to express an injured bucket lover?

Gents,

My build has come to a "grinding" halt. I was reworking the badly designed Total performance shock mounts when the grinder slipped and gouged a piece of my left index finger. :sos:

Was it not for the glove, the wheel would've reshaped my finger completely instead of the shock mount. My wife was able to bandage me up real tight. :rolleyes:

I'm under house arrest right now and my wife won't let me anywhere near my beloved bucket.

I think there a very good design i bought mine from Total and they fit like a glove.Where did you get yours?And why do you say there bad?

Gents,

The policy in the GM UAW is NO gloves are to be worn around rotating equipment like grinders, drill presses, saws and the like. The reason is that your hand can be drawn into the equipment. This was a very strictly adhered to and enforced policy in the 30 years that I worked there.

Jim

The policy in the GM UAW is NO gloves are to be worn around rotating equipment like grinders, drill presses, saws and the like. The reason is that your hand can be drawn into the equipment. This was a very strictly adhered to and enforced policy in the 30 years that I worked there.

Jim

Man I hate grinding skin. I wear gloves with the grinder, but not with many other power tools.

Jim

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard but what can you expect from a union. :rolleyes: My welding gloves have cuts all over them from where my grinder has caught on something and ripped out of my hands and cut through my gloves and into my finger. I couldn't imagine how bad all the wounds would be without the gloves. I could see pony tails or loose clothing around things like drill presses etc gloves fit tight on your hands and are not flopping around looking to get caught in something. For the record I also a face shield with a big ol' chew mark right across the front where I had a grinder ripped out of my hands. Working on a bench with new stuff it never gets loose but when you are upside down, laying on your back working in some obscure corner on some 40+ year old piece of junk trying to cut or grind something you can catch an edge real easy. One thing that should be illegal is any locking trigger device.

Sorry to read that. I hope it heals well.

I wear gloves while grinding. I have scars from when I never used to.
I don't always wear a face shield.. guess I should start. My safety glasses only do so much.
I DO wear ear protection though. As I get older and am hearing the effects (or NOT hearing, as the case may be) of age and years of neglect... I would like to keep my hearing and all of my parts where they should be.

Sounds like you have some planning time while you wait under house arrest.
Hopefully the warden is treating you well. ;)

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard but what can you expect from a union. :rolleyes: My welding gloves have cuts all over them from where my grinder has caught on something and ripped out of my hands and cut through my gloves and into my finger. I couldn't imagine how bad all the wounds would be without the gloves. I could see pony tails or loose clothing around things like drill presses etc gloves fit tight on your hands and are not flopping around looking to get caught in something. For the record I also a face shield with a big ol' chew mark right across the front where I had a grinder ripped out of my hands. Working on a bench with new stuff it never gets loose but when you are upside down, laying on your back working in some obscure corner on some 40+ year old piece of junk trying to cut or grind something you can catch an edge real easy. One thing that should be illegal is any locking trigger device.
Just to get something straight, that was a COMPANY rule NOT a UNION rule. GM made all the safety rules not the union.

Jim

It's the best I could do on such short notice- :rolleyes:

Thats coool but I do feel sorry for the little guy. Hope he has insurance.
By the way. When i did my apprenticeship you would get a greasing for not wearing gloves using an angle grinder. They have saved many fingers. You would also get a greasing for wearing gloves or having loose sleeves around any other machinery in the workshop. And by a greasing I mean on the things we hold dear, if you get my drift
Gerry

If you have ever been sprayed by sparks from a grinder you appreciate being covered up.

Jim

Thanks all for the kind words and advice!

I agree with the gloves getting snagged into rotating machinery.But in my case the glove saved my finger from total destruction!
I had changed over from the cutting wheel to the grinding wheel just 10 minutes before the incident and I'm so grateful I did that! Had this happened with the cutting wheel I probably would've ended with 9.75 fingers by now!

I think there a very good design i bought mine from Total and they fit like a glove.Where did you get yours?And why do you say there bad?

You're so lucky! I got mine from Total too (in the Year 2006)! I was so confident that they would fit that I got them painted. My caster's set to 5-deg positive. But when I lower the wheels to the ground, I cannot stop the shocks from touching the mounts. My painted shocks have been ruined because of this. The only way I could get them to clear the mounts was to fudge with the caster which is obviously not a good idea.

Here are the pics before the incident.

I decided to grind the mounts after taking the radius rods apart, adjusting them repeatedly and putting them back almost 6 times. I checked if my suicide axle is offset from side-2-side for some reason, but the measurements seem OK. I don't think that my spring perches are reversed either. No matter what I did, no success!!

-Andy

Sorry to read that. I hope it heals well.

I wear gloves while grinding. I have scars from when I never used to.
I don't always wear a face shield.. guess I should start. My safety glasses only do so much.
I DO wear ear protection though. As I get older and am hearing the effects (or NOT hearing, as the case may be) of age and years of neglect... I would like to keep my hearing and all of my parts where they should be.

Sounds like you have some planning time while you wait under house arrest.
Hopefully the warden is treating you well. ;)

Thanks!

You bet I am! Researching on getting some parts for my ride. And yep, the warden's taken over as the chief grill master for the barbeque we planned to have today.

I'm munching on them wings at the moment. :rolleyes:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back