Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Had to move my dash

choppinczech

It was a ton of work. Lots of planning, cutting, grinding and glassing. But I'm glad I did it.

My steering column was too far to the right 1 1/2" and wouldn't have ever lined up with a driver's seat.

10-5-14 5.JPG10-11-14 2.JPG10-11-14 6.JPG 10-12-14 2.JPG10-12-14 5.JPG 10-12-14 7.JPG
Luckily I have access to a fork lift. So I could suspend it flipped over and didn't have to lay up glass while on my back.

It's right on now. Just more bodywork ahead.

I go to work on Mondays way more tired than when I left on Friday.

Good planning, nice work, but I do not believe a minute of it. That shop is just too clean!!!!

Thanks
That shop is just too clean!!!!

Thanks. I've learned the hard way to clean as I go when working with glass.

I also have a 36" fan on one side of me, and an exhaust fan on the other. As long as I pay attention to the rotation of the cutting or grinding wheels, I can usually send it away from me.

Reactions: RPM
Man, Do I ever wish you lived in my neck of the woods. I wood be at your shop with you learning to Fiberglass like you. Top Notch work. Your build of the body looks great!!!

Thanks for all of the kind words guys. :thumbsup:

Your windshield frame is really nice . What glass does it take?

It's a copy of a '67 Bug Convertible chopped 4 1/2".

I was surprised that the outer posts were parallel. Even with a big chunk removed, the cut posts lined right up.

My goal is to glue in a chopped windshield. I really don't want a fat black rubber gasket. So we'll see. I may have to do some work to the mounting flange to pull that off.Cowl extension.jpg

I thought I should post this forgotten photo to show the method I used to back up the voids.

10-11-14 9.JPG

Aluminum foil tape, used on air ducts makes a great backing. It shapes and burnishes down easily. Has NO stretch. And leaves no glue residue when removed.

In this case, I was using the sticky side to span the void.

You can also use the foil side on a mold for something like a one off fiberglass part. You just need to use a mold release or PVA. I'll use that method over foam to make my trans tunnel.

Polyester resin will not stick to this stuff because it has almost no porosity.

Three layers makes a really stiff backing. You can get it at most any Depot type store or the pro stuff at HVAC suppliers.

Been working on fitting this Honda Civic console. As with everything else, I'll have to make a mold and reproduce it in glass. And it needs to be removable. The back end will continue on up between the seats.

This is going to be a tough one to mold. It's got lots of negative contours and detail. It may end up being a 5 part mold.

I only need the top portion of the B&M shifter mount.
View attachment 10580

I'm not even dealing with the nooks and crannies for the shifter. A piece of laminate and masking tape will leave a cut out template in the final part.
View attachment 10581

Later, after the shifter is mounted in the top underside of the console, I'll build the lower shifter mounts that will be on the drive shaft tunnel.

View attachment 10582

I'm so glad I hadn't put in the trans tunnel yet. I still need access to work in there.

You should consider offering the finished body to a mold builder. They usually offer you one or two of the products for use of the original.
I have seen offers for muscle car bumper, fenders, etc to use for a pattern. You may not want to violate your work, but just a thought.

I'll try the photos again.

11-8-14 3.JPG 11-8-14 7.JPG 11-9-14.JPG

Looks good! I hadn't thought of using cleco's on glass. I learned a new trick. That was a good tip with the fans and working with glass. I once replaced an entire floor in an old glasstron boat and had to be helped out of it as I was overcome with the fumes before I realized it. Young, energetic, and STUPID as I once was. I am sorry to say that I am no longer young or energetic:).

Looks good! I hadn't thought of using cleco's on glass. I learned a new trick. That was a good tip with the fans and working with glass. I once replaced an entire floor in an old glasstron boat and had to be helped out of it as I was overcome with the fumes before I realized it. Young, energetic, and STUPID as I once was. I am sorry to say that I am no longer young or energetic:).

Hey, two out three isn't bad. LOL

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back