Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

has anyone seen this shock mount before?

Yes, pics and tech info please, TrackTV6. Generic parts and old tech is the ticket if one is building a nostalgia rod or rat rod, but we now have wonderful new stuff and CNC and some engineers here to tantalize us with innovation.

All shocks are not created equal and in the pictures with the shocks used is what I was referring to. You can have a shock designed to cushion the space shuttle on the launch pad if you have enough time and money. My idea of a traditional T-Bucket doesn't use such shocks IMHO but people do what people do to make their bucket theirs--- right or wrong.

Where can I get some of those Space Shuttle shocks? That would be so bitching on my bucket...

Weight ratio not right for your bucket, will cause front end to rise and may be a hazard to your health as you flip over backwards on your head.

I found this on the Monroe shock web site.

Can shock absorbers be mounted upside down (rod end down) and still function properly?
Most modern shock absorbers utilize a twin (dual) tube construction; in order to work properly the inner of the two tubes (working chamber) should stay completely filled with oil. The outer (reserve) tube contains an oil reserve along with air or a pressurized gas. If the unit is mounted inverted (rod side down), the air or gas in the outer chamber can enter the inner working chamber, resulting in poor damping performance. Therefore, twin tube shock absorbers should not be mounted upside down (or on their side), with the exception of specially designed units that incorporate a gas cell, or cellular gas material, designed to keep the gas retained in the outer reserve tube.

I don't know if this pic will show up or not. Haven't had success posting a pic from photobucket through my smartphone as of yet.
Not sure why you're fighting it the way you are, it's a simple matter of clicking on the Image icon in the text editor toolbar and then inserting the Direct link from Photobucket. It works every time. What you are doing is trying to insert the IMG link from Photobucket, which leaves you with the wrong code for the image, as well as a truncated URL.

Take a moment and read this tutorial, which will walk you through the entire process.

Don't need a special "space shuttle shock" and don't use a Monroe TWIN TUBE. Any mono-tube gas charged shock will work in any position. There are tons of them available from sources ranging from OE to aftermarket and there are some motorcycle mono-tubes that will work with our lightweight cars.

Dang......still got sucked into that shock debate I was talking about. LOL

This is the setup on the front of mine. Similar concept, different execution.
Mike

Mike, it was good meeting you in person at the T Nats last night.

I'm planning on the same/similar setup. Need to get my masters made, so George can get the actual pieces cut.

I too, was concerned about laying the shocks down. I contacted the people at QA1 if I recall, or whoever made the small chrome shocks sold through Speedway about effectiveness and longevity if I leaned them over on top of the frame. Guy said it wouldn't make any difference. I'm sure there are other shocks out there that are designed to stay more vertical than horizontal. Like Mike and I were talking last night, it'll have more to do with the ratio lengths and design of the pivot arm, than the shocks themselves.

Mike, it was good meeting you in person at the T Nats last night.
I'm planning on the same/similar setup. Need to get my masters made, so George can get the actual pieces cut.

I enjoyed meeting and talking with you also. Good luck with your setup.

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back