Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

headlights

rubicon

What headlights are you guys using? I'm not happy with the ones I have. Just not bright enough and the beam is scattered. I'm using halogen bulbs H4. I'm using a relay for the headlights. If you guys have something you really like or have seen, please pass it on. Thanks

I'm using H4's on my car and they are very bright. Perhaps you have a wiring problem not allowing the proper voltage to go to the bulb. I might also that I drilled the reflector and installed an amber LED bulb for a turn signal and flasher. It was enough to pass a NSRA Safety Inspection.

Jim

You said that you used a relay, how far from the headlights is the relay, what gauge wire did you use, and where does the relay get its power source? The wire length and size can drastically affect it. The wire is a resistor, smaller wire equals more resistance, larger wire equals less resistance. Think of a water hose scenario... On my dump truck, I installed a relay on each light and powered the lights via the relays direct from the batteries as close to the lights as was reasonable, which was easy because it had two batteries, one behind each headlight, and used heavy gauge wire for the feed from the batteries to the relays, and from the relays to the lights. I triggered the relays with the headlight feed from the switch. I was amazed at how much brighter they were. I know that a bucket doesn't really allow such installation due to battery location, etc, but wire size and where you obtain the power feed to the headlights really does matter. If the power source to the relay doesn't come direct from the battery, that could be contributing to your lights not being as bright as you would like them to be. I'm not familiar with your particular car, just trying to visualize what could be the issue. An easy test would be to run a wire direct from a battery to the lights. If they are brighter, maybe re-examine your wiring scheme, if not, get some of those killer blue led lights that I hate when they are coming at me!

Thanks for the help. I'll start checking the wiring and ground. Battery and relay in the back. I believe I ran #10 wire to relay and light. I will double check everything to make sure. I will let you know what I find. I'll be out of town for awhile, will work on it when I get back.

Rubicon, are you running a ground wire to the light or are you using the frame for ground? Frame grounds are notorious bugs. I run ground wires from all loads back to a ground bus at the wiring panel. I have halogen H4's and they are plenty bright. If your ground is good and you still want more light, I think there are LED H4's that are brighter.

On my Cougar we had dim H4s. The solution for me was to go to a Xenon bubs kit, with fletcherson's dual relays and direct to battery leads solution. The result was almost overwhelmingly bright...took a bit of getting used to. High beams are almost never needed.

On my Cougar we had dim H4s. The solution for me was to go to a Xenon bubs kit, with fletcherson's dual relays and direct to battery leads solution. The result was almost overwhelmingly bright...took a bit of getting used to. High beams are almost never needed.
Sorry, I meant to say halogens, not H4s

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back