Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

HOLY (expletive) ! ! !

T-Odd

Here are a couple of videos...

and this is what it looks like inside.

Look Ma no Hands !!! :gum:

Well it was an interesting morning to say the least.

Took the day off work to try to get the stuff done about my motorcycle wreck last year. Real quick update - bought a bike, some texting while driving lady ran a redlight and T boned me, totaled the bike.

Her insurance company needs me to get the bike title transferred to my name but found out a couple of hours after picking up the title at hte lawyer's office that Tennessee requires you to tag the vehicle when you title it BUT I'm not going to buy a tag for an inoperable motorcycle.

SO back to the story...

I would estimate my morning cruise to be about 25 miles and maybe there were some times where my speed might have been in excess of ... well I'm not going to post any incriminating information, but let's just say that my car can get up to the posted speed limits quickly and I tend to let it do that as often as possible.

Then THIS happened.

298671_2146532061070_1179354800_32156841_2130771765_n.jpg

Now, I had just left a light... and for whatever reason it wasn't one of the patented "T-Odd green light launch" but just an ease on the gas because there's another light just a short distance, blahblahblah.

I was in the left lane of a five lane road, no steering, no way to make the car get out of the road, etc.

Car decided to change into the right lane and miss a street sign, up a very very short concrete curb and we came to a stop in some very nice grass and out of the street.

Turned on my hazard lights and preceded to thank Deity that the wheel didn't come off a couple minutes earlier when I was going 50-ish around a tight one lane exit ramp with high concrete walls. That would have been bad. VERY bad.

So here I am once again, proclaiming my belief that something was, once more, watching over me and protecting me.

If the steering wheel HAD to come off because of some law of the Universe, it certainly did it it the EXACT right time that made it possible for me to be able to resolve the issue without injury to anyone at all.

Damn, T-Odd, not a single part of the steering wheel left on the stem!! What happened?

See that little nut? It came off. That little nut is the only thing that holds the steering wheel to the steering column. When that nut backed off, the shaft dropped a few inches into the column and the wheel was just not going to do a damn thing without being connected to that shaft.

Lost the lock washer but managed to pull the shaft out and get the wheel back attached to it with only the nut... and got back home.

Yeah, kinda scary there for a second but at least I wasn't going more than maybe twenty miles per hour.

Guess I'll remember to use some blue loctite on the steering wheel nut. Better yet, go buy a locknut.

I believe that should be a splined-tapered shaft , right ? you might want to check if there is something wrong w/ your steering wheel hub[cracked, not seating, etc.], normally , once their cinched into position you have to use a puller to get the wheel off.

dave

I believe that should be a splined-tapered shaft , right ? you might want to check if there is something wrong w/ your steering wheel hub[cracked, not seating, etc.], normally , once their cinched into position you have to use a puller to get the wheel off.

dave

not to mention that most steering shafts have a groove in the top, above the nut, intended to hold a snap ring to prevent this very thing from happening. glad to hear it all came out ok for you this time.

Russ

I had my steering column come off the steering box while negotiating a turn two years ago. I know how lucky you feel when it didn't happen earlier on the hwy.

Ron, I told Lisa yesterday that if my luck does run out, to let everyone know that I knew it was coming. If I'm like a cat, I've used up an awful lot of those nine lives so far.

I'm satisfied that I've done more in my forty two years than most could do in double that amount of time.
I'm satisfied that I am ready for it whenever my Creator decides it is time to call me home.
I'm satisfied that everyone I know without out a doubt knows how much I love them and should be able to at least tell one really funny story about me or at least remember one time that they smiled because of me.

I hope that when that day comes, that I will be welcomed by my Creator.

Other than that, I'll continue to live as though this gift I've been given could cease at any moment, and try to fill it with as much fun as possible. Whether the smile is on my face or someone else does not matter.

I sure hope they don't cry when I'm gone, I hope they have a big party and tell stories about my silly life, these crazy adventures, and maybe someone will remember that life is temporary and we only say goodbye for a short while.

Yeah, I've said that it's time to take the car apart and redo everything. I suppose that might be a really really good idea. Who knows, maybe I'll put paint on something, or add some shiny stuff.

Ron, I told Lisa yesterday that if my luck does run out, to let everyone know that I knew it was coming. If I'm like a cat, I've used up an awful lot of those nine lives so far.

I'm satisfied that I've done more in my forty two years than most could do in double that amount of time.
I'm satisfied that I am ready for it whenever my Creator decides it is time to call me home.
I'm satisfied that everyone I know without out a doubt knows how much I love them and should be able to at least tell one really funny story about me or at least remember one time that they smiled because of me.

I hope that when that day comes, that I will be welcomed by my Creator.

Other than that, I'll continue to live as though this gift I've been given could cease at any moment, and try to fill it with as much fun as possible. Whether the smile is on my face or someone else does not matter.

I sure hope they don't cry when I'm gone, I hope they have a big party and tell stories about my silly life, these crazy adventures, and maybe someone will remember that life is temporary and we only say goodbye for a short while.

Yeah, I've said that it's time to take the car apart and redo everything. I suppose that might be a really really good idea. Who knows, maybe I'll put paint on something, or add some shiny stuff.
Won't be near as much fun!! [I mean the shiny stuff]

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back