Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hood Info

Rick

VIP
VIP Member
Looking for a site that sells 1923 T hoods.Im going to try and make my own but i wanna get an idea on how they look.And of course a price it might not be worth messin with makeing it.

I'm of the same mind, I'd kinda like to have a hood too. They are gottable for the '27s but I haven't seen any for the '23s, at least in fiberglass. MAC's antique auto parts supplies restoration products for the originals though and they do list hoods so I was kinda thinking/hoping one of them would work. I'll be using a Speedway body since they are just 40 miles from me so I'll do some carefull measuring when I pick up the body.

I'd seriously consider a '27 but I haven't seen any top kits for them and I would like a rag top - it does rain here in Nebraska and it gots gawd awful hot in the summer and I don't want to burn my bald head!

Rick just looked at the Total Performance site and the King T is listed as having a 23 cowl and firewall thay sell a hood sepperate.

joes23t said:
Rick just looked at the Total Performance site and the King T is listed as having a 23 cowl and firewall thay sell a hood sepperate.

But isn't that hood meant to mate with a track nose? The curves won't match a T grille shell.

IMO...Hood look really cool on a T. They tend to give a car a no-nonsence look, very cool!

A good example of this is the '27 Modified that Brian Brennen built in Street Rodder a few years back. As I remember it, he gave a pretty good over veiw of what it took to build one. I don't know how much help a stock hood would be for a project like this. It would be too short for one thing. If you are running outside headers, the side panels would hve to be built in two panels per side, so you wouldn't use the side panels anyway. It's been my experience the only thing a center hinge on the top is good for is eating paint. A one piece lift off top panel prevents this.

If you are still interested in doing this, I can look up Brian's artical for you.

Ron

Youngster said:
IMO...Hood look really cool on a T. They tend to give a car a no-nonsence look, very cool!

A good example of this is the '27 Modified that Brian Brennen built in Street Rodder a few years back. As I remember it, he gave a pretty good over veiw of what it took to build one. I don't know how much help a stock hood would be for a project like this. It would be too short for one thing. If you are running outside headers, the side panels would hve to be built in two panels per side, so you wouldn't use the side panels anyway. It's been my experience the only thing a center hinge on the top is good for is eating paint. A one piece lift off top panel prevents this.

If you are still interested in doing this, I can look up Brian's artical for you.

Ron

I'm going to build a buck out of 3/4 plywood and form the aluminum over that.I just have to finish my grill Monday.

Rick...Sounds like a good plan.

Steve... I think Total sells a top for '23's. A non-folding top for a '27 isnt hard to fab as long as you plan on it ahead.

Ron

Youngster said:
Rick...Sounds like a good plan.

Steve... I think Total sells a top for '23's. A non-folding top for a '27 isnt hard to fab as long as you plan on it ahead.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Yes, '23 tops aren't hard to find at all - most major suppliers have them. I'll probably end up with a Speedway body since they are so close to me and Speedway has a bow and hardware kit for the '23s.

'27s seem to be a different story though, I haven't seen bow kits for them. A removable top sounds interesting, I hadn't really given it much thought. Though I plan on driving it often (I want a DRIVER!) it would be mostly in town so planning for the weather and stuff wouldn't be too hard, so I'll give that some thought.

Thanks! TTYL,

Steve

Speey Bill sells a universal top, sorta spendy thuogh. The picture of the Total top I have looks like a lift off. A framework for a lift off fabric top is just some round tubing, some body brackets and a pair of windsheild posts sockets.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back