Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How do you change oil filter?

luke 13

I'm a new be t bucket owner. I have what im guessing to be a garage built machine with certain building characteristics I just don't understand. One was with the differential being welded to the frame which I have on another post and most recently I cant figure out how you change the oil filter. Its a built 69 or 70 302 ford with a C3 auto tranny. The way the engine is sitting in the frame the filter will only unscrew about a 1/4 " before coming in contact the driver side frame rail. First I thought about un bolting the mount and lifting the motor until the filter was clear to come over the top of the frame. After closer inspection I see the bell housing is so close to the tunnel there is no possible way to lift motor. Does anyone have an idea other than completely pulling the motor or a hack saw?

Use the hack saw or a saws all. Cut far enough away from the block to miss the threaded nipple. You can see if the short Fl-1 or Fram will fit without modding. I do not have the number at hand, but it is the same filter only shorter. If that will not work, you can use a filter relocate kit. Hope the short filter works. It will be cheaper.

If it is not a short filter, do as Railroad suggested. I'm running the short SBF filters on mine due to clearance issues.

Use the hack saw or a saws all. Cut far enough away from the block to miss the threaded nipple. You can see if the short Fl-1 or Fram will fit without modding. I do not have the number at hand, but it is the same filter only shorter. If that will not work, you can use a filter relocate kit. Hope the short filter works. It will be cheaper.
thanks man I appreciate the help

Short Mopar filter is a 5281090ba(bb,bc they change pn's a lot). Dad used to knock a nail into the lowest part of the filter, pull the nail, then open the oil fill cap. it drains pretty good that way. Hope this helps.

Try what RR said, if you still have problems, order a remote filter kit and put it where you can get to it. Only about $40-$50. Plus the line and extra oil capacity will add a little cooling to your oil. Redoing someone elses mistakes always gets me aggrevated....

Once you get the old filter off, try a Mobil 1 filter ... M1-204 ... it is the shorter version ... that is what I use on my 302\347

I'm a new be t bucket owner. I have what im guessing to be a garage built machine with certain building characteristics I just don't understand. One was with the differential being welded to the frame which I have on another post and most recently I cant figure out how you change the oil filter. Its a built 69 or 70 302 ford with a C3 auto tranny. The way the engine is sitting in the frame the filter will only unscrew about a 1/4 " before coming in contact the driver side frame rail. First I thought about un bolting the mount and lifting the motor until the filter was clear to come over the top of the frame. After closer inspection I see the bell housing is so close to the tunnel there is no possible way to lift motor. Does anyone have an idea other than completely pulling the motor or a hack saw?
If your still stuck on trying to get this thing off your motor, and haven't yet, they make a exhaust pipe cutting tool the goes around the pipe, its like a chain wrench, but has cutting teeth on the chain itself.
If you have room to put this around your filter, it would take very little to cut it up by its base. Then, with a pr. of visegrips, grab your center nut thats made into the filter and unscrew it....
If your local parts store doesn't have one in stock, they can order one, or you can get a el cheapo thru Harbor Freight Tools....

If your still stuck on trying to get this thing off your motor, and haven't yet, they make a exhaust pipe cutting tool the goes around the pipe, its like a chain wrench, but has cutting teeth on the chain itself.
If you have room to put this around your filter, it would take very little to cut it up by its base. Then, with a pr. of visegrips, grab your center nut thats made into the filter and unscrew it....
If your local parts store doesn't have one in stock, they can order one, or you can get a el cheapo thru Harbor Freight Tools....
thanks man, I was just at harbor freight the other day. I never heard of one of those im going to go to the site and see if I can order one. cheapo is great for this, it will be a one time thing. thank very much

Ford has a 90 degree adapter that goes on where the filter mounts and turns it toward the front of the engine .. Check ford racing website or summit sells them in their mustang section

What Big Block Said! Theres also several other co's that make those adaptors too. Just do a search....

Go to your local pic a part salvage yard and look for a motor home or econoline with a 460 engine. Ford used a 90 degree adapter on these engines and will work on any Ford engine.Remove oil filter spin on fitting and use the bolt from the adapter and you should be able to mount the filter to fit your frame.The local NAPA should be able to come up with the gasket for the bolt and O ring for the adapter plate. The bolt gasket is the same gasket used on the Ford canister filters from early year For Engines.

Alot of old motorhomes came with ether a 460 Ford or a 440 Dodge, just depends on the make of motorhome.

Most of the Large motorhomes came with the Ford 460 or the Dodge 440. They had the adaptors. Also the Ford 460 powered F350's trucks and some vans.
Summit carrys these for about $80, they're on EBay Also....

FRPPfilteradapter.jpg

Always keep a strap wrench handy when you change that oil filter. If you get the long handled ones, you can remove any filter. Also, the adaptor you can position it anyway you want within 360 degrees....to get the clearence you need....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back