Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How we doing this afternoon

Mike

Sheesh, I am black and blue and have had my backside handed to me by a MariaDB database. I am starting to think I need a DBA, but now that it is all over, I realize I did come out on top.

I think the site likely suffered about 10 minutes downtime, as a result. If that was the case, my apologies, but I really was in it, up to my eyebrows. And believe me, you cannot beat up on me any more than I have already beat up on myself.

I run a read-only script on all of my servers that keeps watch on the MySQL server. I run the script, every week or so, to get recommendations on how to better optimize the MySQL server. The script makes recommendations, which I evaluate and then decide which recommendations to apply to the MySQL server configuration file.

Once the changes are made to the configuration file, I have to re-start the MySQL server, for those changes to take effect. So the process requires three steps - get the recommendations, apply the changes to a file and then re-start the MySQL server. Easy-peasy, right? All of this is to try to optimize the MySQL server against this site in its current state.

I've been making tiny changes, over the last 5 or 6 months, trying to sneak up on more optimal settings and, until today, things have been going quite well. I found a couple of small suggestions, early this afternoon, so I thought I applied them to the configuration file. Only my fat fingers must have made a typo, because when I went to re-start the MySQL server, it rolled over on its back and died. :x3:

I checked the file, but did not see any obvious errors, so I attempted another re-start. Which was a waste of my time. Who was it, Einstein, who said doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result is the definition of insanity?

I finally just moved the configuration file and moved in the original file, that I had backed up, prior to making any changes. I attempted a re-start and was golden. Of course, that was a blank config file, so I was back at square 1. And after searching the server high and low, I was unable to find the file that I had moved, so I could get my variable settings back. :mad:

I could recall most of the most recent edits to the config file, so I stuck them in, saved the file, attempted another restart and everything was good. But there were two variables I could not recall the most recent settings for, so I am digging around this stack of notes on my desks, looking for the numbers. Finally, I decided rather than trying to read every scrap of paper on my desk, I would just run the script and see what it recommended for those two variables.

I logged into the server and tried to run the script. But it was asking for an administrative log-in and password. Huh? :confused: That was the first time that had ever happened. No matter what I tried, it would not allow me to run the script against the database.

After about an hour of frustration, I contacted a tech at the datacenter, and asked his advice. He thought the syntax on my variable settings was incorrect. Where I would have a line that would read -

query_cache_size= 32M

- he felt the space after the equal sign was wrong. That's the way I've always edited those files, but I went in and removed all of the spaces from each line. I saved the file, re-started the database server and tried to access the script to get the recommendations. No hope.

I hammered and banged on it and could not get it to work, no matter what I tried. I could comment out all of the variables and then run the script, but that meant the edits would not be reflected, so that was not an option.

I checked another server, and sure enough, it would not allow me to run the script without log-in details.

By then, I was ready to start throwing things. So, I checked a third server, and the script ran just fine. So I checked the config file on that script, and, well, <cough, cough> I had managed to stick the fork in myself. For any of you who are DBAs, go ahead and try to set up a my.cnf file without [mysqld].

I've no idea how that line was removed, but I had to have removed it. The day I got this server, I installed mysqltuner.pl on it, ran cp /etc/my.cnf /etc/my.cnf.old and started editing my.cnf. Today, when I apparently knackered the my.cnf file, I just did a cp /etc/my.cnf.old /etc/my.cnf and started editing. But somehow, I managed to delete [mysqld]. :barefoot:

If anyone is interested, a synonym for bloody idiot would be Mike.

If there is a DBA around, can you tell me if there is any real difference in these lines -

innodb_buffer_pool_size= 1024M
innodb_buffer_pool_size=1024M

I've always used the first, but the datacenter tech insisted I had to use the second.

So, how did you spend your afternoons? I think I am going to unplug from the matrix and go watch the Super Bowl...

My went a bit better than yours did, although I didn't accomplish anything useful, except keeping the wood stove fed. I watched the snow come down, surfed the satelite for something worth watching. Nothing there. Now, Super Bowl is coming on shortly. That means the wife and I will eat chili, snacks, and I will suck down a few MGDs. Wife will just drink Diet Pepsi.
Who will win the big game? Not a Broncos fan, nor a Seahawks fan, but I will pick one and root for them.
Lee

Just a heads up that we might have a very brief moment of downtime coming up. It really should not amount to much more than a blink of an eye, so if you submit a request and see an error message, just stick around.

I promise you, what you will find after the downtime will be to your liking. :whistling:

We're compiling some code as I type this, so fasten your seat belts and hang on!

And that is me, breathing normally again.

People, if it is humanly possible to make this site run any faster, I don't know what it would take. Well, OK, so I am already thinking about how I might be able to move some .htaccess rules into httpd.conf, but when it comes down to hardware and server software, this is about as good as it can get.

We are running the very latest version of PHP and caching it with APC. A few months back, we changed over from MySQL database management to MariaDB. And that is being cached with Memcached. As you will see in the original post, I am always tweaking on the database configuration, trying to milk more performance out of it. We are running on solid-state drives, rather than on spinning disks. I have done what I can, in order to make and keep this site running as quickly as possible.

Earlier this afternoon, I did some performance testing on the site, checking page generation times on our index page. I was consistently seeing generation times in the range of 0.1265 to 0.1270 second range.

I decided we could do better than that, so I went into my own pocket, one more time. We are no longer running the Apache web server, but have changed over to the LiteSpeed web server. I had been looking at trying to speed things up with Nginx or Varnish, but I couldn't see how adding more weight to the server was going to be a good thing, so instead of relying on reverse-proxy servers, I decided to just use LiteSpeed.

Before the PHP upgrade was complete and APC was re-enabled, page generation times had already dropped into the 0.0750 to 0.0770 second range. Once everything was back in place, I've seen generation times as low as 0.0588 second. The site is now running twice as fast as it was, earlier today.

Once again, this upgrade is on me. There will be no changes made to the monthly donations quota.

Enjoy!

"times had already dropped into the 0.0750 to 0.0770 second range. Once everything was back in place, I've seen generation times as low as 0.0588 second."

Mike...Is this a modified drag racing addiction? You're faster then light! And here I sit choking on an old laptop with a slow internet service. What's a guy to do!

George

Ha!

George, people accuse me of being OCD, but I always remind them I do not and will not suffer from it. At least not until they manage to get those letters in alphabetical order. :roflmao:

I'll try to explain. Back when I realized I was really wanting to have my own T-Bucket (which is now a dissolving dream), I was trying to learn anything I could about these wee cars. And, at the time, there was really only one T-Bucket discussion forum. Spirit had their forum up and running, but it was not very active and was geared more toward being their company forum, rather than a general, wide-open forum. The one other forum was running on software that was akin to getting a prostate exam and a root canal, at the same time. All whilst jamming one's self in the eye with a sharp stick.

Since I was already running some other forum sites, I figured I would spend a bit of cash and set up a T-Bucket forum. I wanted it to be open for everyone to feel comfortable using, I wanted it to run on software that was easy for people to use and I wanted to keep it all on as level a playing field as I could make it. And, on 21 October 2006, this site lit up for the very first time.

We ran for a while on vBulletin forum software, which was user-friendly, but we just weren't getting the kind of traffic I had hoped to see. Frankly, I figured we would never get more than 200 (!!!) members, but I was hoping we might get up to 250. However, things just were quiet. Too quiet. I had some interest in search engine optimization, so I started applying what I had learned to this site. And we started growing.

In late 2008, early-2009, vBulletin made some pretty screwy decisions about their forum software, so I started looking for alternatives. About the only other option, at that time, was Invision Power Board. I spent huge amounts (thousands of dollars) migrating all of my sites over to IPB. And for a while, we continued to experience some good growth, even though the IPB user interface upset some users, who ended up abandoning the site for other pastures.

In very late-2010, IPB released an upgrade to their forum software. I was busy working on some other projects, so I upgraded this site and left it at that. I had several other sites to upgrade, but I just didn't have the time. Within a single week, I could see something was wrong, because we were losing search engine rankings and traffic at an amazing rate. I started looking, but nothing jumped out as being terribly wrong. I upgraded a second site, and within a week, that site was bleeding traffic, as well. Being a stubborn cuss, I upgraded a third site and saw the same results.

My first inclination was to migrate back to vBulletin, but there was no way to convert all the passwords in the database back over to the vBulletin schema. I knew if I tried to force 1,800+ members into requesting new passwords, it would chase over half of them away and leave me buried under a ton of support requests. So vBulletin was no longer an option. At about that time, XenForo was released in a Beta test version. No way was I going to risk my sites to Beta software, so I started digging.

I spent nearly 6 weeks wading through the Invision core files, trying to fix their mistakes. And I did more than try, because as I was applying my own edits, I started seeing this site recover. Just about the time I finished with all of my own fixes, Invision released yet another upgrade. :x3: I knew the lead developer rather well, so I contacted him and explained where I was with all of it, and that I was resistant to upgrading, for fear of losing all my work. For several weeks, he had been insisting they had made no changes that could have caused my problems, but when I showed him my recorded traffic data and how it has sagged and then started to recover, he made his last mistake. He asked me to give him my edited files, so he could see the changes I had made. :roflmao: Yeah, like I was going to give him my hard work? I reminded him I had paid him $175 for the license, yet he wanted me to give him my work for free?

In November 2011, XenForo moved from Beta testing to a Release Candidate version, so I took the chance. And I've not looked back. I have found what I think is the very best forum software on the market and I am sticking with it. Because I want something I know will work well for all of our members and guests.

I've been the same with the hosting plans we've used over the years. We started out on a little, shared hosting plan I was spending $6.95/month to have. One day, I suddenly noticed the site was barely crawling. I kid you not, it was taking 2 and 3 minutes, just to load a single forum page. The server load numbers should never have gone any higher than around 6.oo and I would see load numbers spiking up into the upper-50's. Within 48 hours, we were working with a new host. It cost me $9.95/month, but it was worth the additional expense, to get the forum running right again.

But as the numbers grew, we kept our-growing our hosting plans. I moved from shared hosting to Virtual Private Servers, and from the VPS machines to Semi-Dedicated machines. We needed more resources, in order to keep running smoothly, so I kept giving the site more and more. We ultimately ended up on a dedicated server, so we had our own resources and were not having to share anything with anyone. As the site has grown, I've been fortunate enough to keep tuning things up, so the server will keep up with what is happening.

Over the years, I have just tried to provide everyone with the very best forum experience I could provide. I like to think I have been somewhat successful, even though there have been a few take their sticks and balls to go play elsewhere. Making omelets requires eggs to be cracked, so I've never been shy about doing some cracking. But for the members around here who have acted like adults and have helped the forums become what they are today, I've always felt a sense of responsibility to each of them. Yes, although it gets leveled by my own rules, I do try to provide everyone a level playing field. I do try to provide everyone with features and functions they will enjoy using, and making those features and functions easy to understand and use. I've always been all about security, because I do not want any of our members to lose any sense of privacy whilst using this site. And how could I try to do all of that, without trying to give it all to you at the fastest speeds possible?

There are days when I think it is time to get completely out of the forum business. There are days when trying to run this place feels a bit like herding cats. There are days when someone puts on the dunce cap and plays an outright idiot, but as you know, I tend to run those people out pretty quickly. :whistling: Because, at the end of the day, I feel like this userbase is the best I have ever seen in a discussion forum, in my 30+ years of doing this stuff. And because I feel you are the best, I do my utmost to give you the best. If I can spend a few hours to make the site a bit better, then that is what I do. If I can spend a few dollars to make the site a bit better, then that is what I do.

I will be honest in saying if this LiteSpeed license had been double the cost, I wouldn't have given it a second glance. But I made this place run twice as fast, and it is only going to cost me $20/month, so I figure all of you are worth that expense.

The naysayers all claim I am wrong, I am an idiot and I am missing the bigger picture. So they go out and set up sites they imagine will compete with what all of you have built here. :roflmao: Freebie sites, running freebie software on freebie hosting plans. They invest nothing and expect everything, in return. My dear departed mother raised her one and only son to be a lot smarter than that. But go take a look at what Bob Nunes has to say about me. He says I am an idiot and that is how I lost this forum. o_O Since the last time he was part of this community, we've added nearly 30,000 posts and almost 800 members, so you tell me who the real idiot is. Some time back, I caught wind about how deckofficer was telling everyone how he was generously digging into his own pocket, to pay for better support on his flashlight/sailboat/home nursing forums. Well, I wasn't fooled, because I know the CEO of the company that hosts those sites. And the fact of the matter is those forums cost absolutely nothing to run. You can pay $6 a month to have the ads removed from your forum, but other than that, the hosting is free and so is the software. Real generous of deckofficer to lie to everyone, wasn't it? Yet he plays me out to be the bad guy, and sends me threatening e-mails. See how it goes? We have a winning formula, right here, a formula others know good and well they cannot compete against. So they use lies and libel to try to put me in a bad light. But you know what? Their lies always fail them and our success continues to shine. They attract their cadre of 5 or 6 active members and they convince themselves they are the best, so I say more power to them.

The site that caused me to open this one finally decided to go with some modern forum software, so hopefully they will experience some growth from all of it. And I have offered to help Josh with some tips and tricks to cut down the spam on the Spirit forums, because I would hate to see that site go away. They are both sites in the same niche as this one, but I believe they are both sites run by people who care about their members and who also care about T-Buckets, so I genuinely wish them the very best.

And now, you know the rest of the story.

Mike,

I appreciate the history of how you and this forum got here and to this stage. I hope you don't think I was questioning you in anyway as I'm not near smart enough to operate a smart phone much less setup a computer system or forum site. My hat is off to you or anyone that can do that type of work. It's the old once a racer always a racer and speed is the name of the game no matter what your game is. You evidently were good at drag racing and you are dame good with computer operations. Thanks for what you do and for an inside look at that task.

George

No, I didn't feel you were questioning me. It's just every day, I try to figure out to make things just a little better than they were yesterday. I figure the day I get to feeling satisfied and complacent, that will be the time to start worrying.

Like I said, It's that racer blood that drive you for speed and perfection. Nothing wrong with that by any means.

George

If anyone has experienced problems trying to upload attachment images, there were a couple of file permission errors on the server. Everything should be working as anticipated again.

litespeed.png

mariadb.png

It seems LiteSpeed doesn't like displaying the small thumbnail, but the image gets displayed in the post, as it should.

Some days, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. The upload file function is properly uploading files to the /data/attachments directory, but for some strange reason, hovering over the broken thumbnail shows the image is stored in an /attachments directory.

Which goes a long way toward explaining why the image is broken, since there is no /attachments directory on the server. :confused:

How in the world did that URL get changed, without some kind of an .htaccess directive?

Note to self - Self, never, ever, never be stupid enough to ever open another forum site. In your life.

[We are no longer running the Apache web server, but have changed over to the LiteSpeed web server]

Have you tried the Enterprise? I hear it's fast , like warp speed. Mike, I haven't much to do, so thought II would pick on you about your OCD. Just funnin' with ya, 'cause you do better than any IT tech I have ever met.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back