Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I want to know about your rear!

PotvinGuy

Staff member
Thought that might get some attention. As you may know, I am building a turn signal unit for those of us who use a simple steering column with no turn stalk (see my thread this forum). Not an ugly strap-on box that you must switch on and off, but a auto-cancel unit that will mount under the dash or seat and use switches that can go on the dash or seat riser or wherever you choose.
But there are several ways to wire up the rear lights (tail, turn, brake). I'd like to know about your rear lights. Do you have turn lights now, and are they separate from the tail and brake lights?

Damn!!!! . . . . .

Get my hopes up and then change the subject . . . at my age, I should have known better

I'm not sure what kind of lights my kit will come with, or if they'll be worth keeping.

I was thinking along the line of something sequential on the turn signals.

While most T's seem to use vintage looking rear lights, I'm worried that the uniqueness of the vehicle might keep cars behind from seeing a smaller light in a timely manner.

While most T's seem to use vintage looking rear lights, I'm worried that the uniqueness of the vehicle might keep cars behind from seeing a smaller light in a timely manner.

Exactly why I went with LED's and a third brake light on mine. They're bright!
E.jpg

But there are several ways to wire up the rear lights (tail, turn, brake). I'd like to know about your rear lights. Do you have turn lights now, and are they separate from the tail and brake lights?
Just in case you don't remember, this is how mine our wired.

HeadlampCircuit04.jpg

Ah, Indy, it looks like your rear brake and turn lights are integrated, such that a single bulb with single filament is on solid for braking and flashes for turns..sound right?

That is the way mine are wired.....turn/brake & tail light...….with only two lights.DSC00658.JPG

Mine is the same except the Stalk is under the seat and the lever comes through the front of the riser.bruced.jpg

Mine is the same except the Stalk is under the seat and the lever comes through the front of the riser.View attachment 15674
Clever! Those strap-on boxes are just too ugly. Wish someone made a column with simple elegant pushbuttons. I talked to iditit some years ago, but they weren't interested. They do have a simple column with just a turn stalk, but it's $500. And they all have the wiring that comes out of a hole in the column and is impossible to hide. Guess I need to design and build the column of my dreams and sell it!

Last edited:
Think I have covered my LED ones here before.

rear light fitting (10) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG
G

Clever! Those strap-on boxes are just too ugly. Wish someone made a column with simple elegant pushbuttons. I talked to iditit some years ago, but they weren't interested. They do have a simple column with just a turn stalk, but it's $500. And they all have the wiring that comes out of a hole in the column and is impossible to hide. Guess I need to design and build the column of my dreams and sell it!

I try / tried to make all my own parts including the coloum which was a piece of stainless tubing that the Corvair turn signal collar would fit and tighten down with the original wedge and screw. Just turned the hole for the turn lever down to bottom and never see it.

Ah, Indy, it looks like your rear brake and turn lights are integrated, such that a single bulb with single filament is on solid for braking and flashes for turns..sound right?
Sorry it took me a long time to respond, it's a two man job to confirm your suspicions.

Yes it's one set of 6 LEDs, but they all come on at a reduced brightness for running lights, then
the brake light comes on (all 6 LEDs_) much brighter. When the turn signal flashes, it's the same
6 LEDs that flash, therefore there is NO brake light when flashing.

ORF stopped by for some bench racing, so I enlisted his eyeballs to confirm your suspicion.

No I use a two sided toggle switch on the dash board, works great until I forget to turn them off...…..LOL…...This getting old sucks.....

Turn signal are part of the light cluster and use an adjustable timer module ($10.00) for the flashing. Also brake lights use the same red LEDs as the rear lights. Rear light work with a resistor in the feed to make them dimmer; had to experiment with various values until I got it right. When you hit the brakes the red LEDs are fed full power, if you see what I mean. LEDS are in clusters of 6 so no need to have individual resistors, just feed each group with 12 volts. This also gives me the safeguard that if one group goes out the light does not fail altogether..
I sued superflux LEDS at about 40c each. They are as bright as the Modern Mercedes ones :thumbsup:

R lights wired (15) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

lite (2) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

Last edited:
Very nice work there, Gerry. Do you have a column with turn stalk, or use a switch, or what?

Think I covered this not so long ago. Home made column with a lever, rod that goes to the bottom and a pair of microswitches.
RH lever is turn; LH is shifter. All scratch made

Steering column final (22) [640x480] [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

Ooops. In the picture RH is shifter and LH is turn. I made the turn lever long enough so I can drop a finger and move it without 'reaching' around the wheel. Shifter is configured so D is the furtherest away to clean my legs and alleviate the chance of knocking it into gear. (does have a detent and safety button).

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back