Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Led shop lights

fletcherson

Ok, I know this is not directly related to buckets, but I am in need of a shop light upgrade and I have no exposure to the new led lights. I am done changing ballasts and bulbs randomly. They are getting expensive and difficult to find. Anyone have any wisdom to share before I throw the dice and make a best guess decision based on advertised product data and order a couple dozen of them? I want to replace two rows of 8’ dual tube lights 24’ long and two rows that are three 4’ twin tube fixtures 12’ in length. I would like more usable light, but not so bright that I need sunglasses. I plan on just replacing fixtures and all, not going to fool around trying to upgrade the existing fixtures to accept led strips.

I bought the large ones from Sam's club for 50 bucks each and I replaced 2, 4 bulb fixtures and about doubled the light. They come with a diffuser but I did not use them. These lights are flat and very light. I have some 8each 4ft led fixtures that I really like they give off enough light the I can turn of half of them until I need more light. I tried the led replacement bulbs but never had any luck so I will just replace the whole fixture from now on until I have all of mine replaced...

In my garage I bought LED fixtures from Costco. 3 each of 4 footers replaces 3 each of 8 footers. Same amount of light. $20.00 each. I really like them. I’m my basement shop I replaced all the 4 footers with LED fixtures from Menards. Same thing. Plenty of light for less than $20/ fixture.
And you save a bunch on electricity cost.

I also replaced all the bulbs in my house with KED bulbs. Some are good, some not. I have a fixture in the kitchen that had 4 fluorescent bulbs. I replaced them with 4 LED bulbs. I had to rewrite things but that was easy. Deleted the ballasts. No heat and plenty of light. I love those things.

We have replaced most of our lights in shop and paint booth with LED. It is way brighter. We have 4 foot and 8 foot bulbs. We used our existing fixtures and took out ballasts and just rewired the fixture. Some last longer than other. We have had to change some bulbs out as they either quit, only half the light lights up or it flickers all the time. The light output is so much brighter

Make sure you get the kind of light you like. Most LEDS are available in warm white, cool white, daylight white at various strengths. There is a lot of difference between them. I prefer a Cool white to all the others with Daylight coming a close second. I would suggest getting a small cheaper LED in the one you think is best and then another one in an alternative. Small units can always find a use somewhere even if its under a cupboard in the house.
I am on my last replacement to LED in the house after finding the right one for me after a few trials and disappointments.

I have also replace the original Fluro housing with an LED tube in them to a new full LED striplight. My call, but the look a lot better.

G

I am thinking about using all 4’ twin tube fixtures and spreading them out about two feet, which will basically reduce the number of lights by about a quarter, but increase the lumens. A reduction in power consumption will be a welcomed bonus. The ones I looked at all have switches and are Linkable, so I can direct wire them and still turn them off individually if not needed. I painted the ceiling white, so it does reflect light pretty well. Thanks for the input! The way technology has been going, there will likely be something new by the time the bulbs wear out... remember cfl bulbs? Lol... those things sure didn’t live up to their advertised life cycle.

Oh and by the way don't put LEDs in the same circuit as fluro. The starter peak of the fluros can screw up an LED light.

Gerry, that just happened to me. I have two lamps in the living room. One had an LED and the other has a CFL. Both on the same timer. The other night the lights went on and the LED bulb started flashing like a strobe light. I guess it’s shot. Live and learn.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back