Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Slung T

I believe the purple powder pickup had a nice frame mount that would bring that down pretty level. I will look at it when I get it closer to having full weight. Thanks for the input.

The frame side mount for the PPP was two pre-made tabs from AA Mfg to put the heim in double shear. The axle mount was made by a friend with a waterjet. Unfortunately, on big bumps with 2 passengers, the axle bracket just barely hits the frame. This winter, we'll pull the axle and clearance the bracket a little to eliminate this problem.

Hmmm. That's not the one I was thinking about. I'll have to go back through some of the other build threads I recently looked at.
It was one that hung down from the frame and had a few different holes for adjustment.

So my goal for this weekend was to get the engine and transmission remounted. I was changing my engine mounts now that I had all the parts I need and moving it all forward a couple inches.

My little guy "helping" me get it all squared and leveled up. He thinks we should be ready for a drive since this is done...He may be more excited about it than I am.
IMG_0556_zpscnit32mc.jpg

I had my brother machine these sleeves up for me to go into the wrist pin end of the connecting rod. They needed an offset hole so that the top of the rod would clear the engine mount. I need a drill press but have no room for one so I am grateful to have a brother who works at a machine shop!
IMG_0560_zpsxwcpgkub.jpg

Here they are put together.
IMG_0561_zpssvu0lhqe.jpg

And all tacked in place. I am a bit concerned with the strength due to the small amount of contact to the frame. I most likely will be filling the gaps. I can say that I did weld one of the caps to a steal plate and put it in my press to see if I could break it off. I bent the 3/8 plate and had to stop for fear of things flying out of the press and hurting myself and the weld did not break at all.
IMG_0562_zpsldib3dim.jpg

So front suspension is done, minus shocks which I'm waiting until I do headlights to do them. Rear suspension is done, most likely will need to adjust pan hard bar. Engine and trans are mounted. Radiator and Fan are mounted.
I think my next step, other than saving some money for more parts, is to start fitting and mounting the body.

On a side note, don't every buy the swanson angle finder from Lowes. Unless you have Superman eyes, you can barely distinguish between a few degrees on it. I ended up buying a digital one that is amazing, but it does kind of drive you mad trying to get things perfect since it reads in tenths of degrees.
065b86b9-1536-480b-aa7a-c2a4bc59d92f_zpswaxw6yjc.jpg

...so passing PA safety inspection is my limiting factor on lowness.

Just curious...what are PA's regs regarding that? I'm aiming low to. I'm in KY, and as far as I can tell now, there are no height requirements here, but if PA's regs are reasonable they may be worth heeding.

Pa doesn't allow anything structural below the scrub line. The scrub is basically at the half the height of your tire side wall. I still am yet to get a straight answer on how they handle different scrub line heights from the front to the back. Although I have to follow this because it's law, it's also an important safety issue. The idea is if you get a flat, stuff isn't scraping the road.
The scrub line is easily manipulated by wheel and tire size choice though. For example, a 26" tall tire will have a lower scrub line with a 16" rim than it will with a 15".

I'm in PA also, near as I can tell from all my reading of PA inspection laws & questions, if you run a string diagonally from the bottom of the rear wheel to the bottom of the opposite front wheel and same for other side that is your scrub line. It's all about if you get a flat theoretically the wheel will stop anything from scrubbing. PA SUCKS lol

Oh, and you need a windshield wiper & defroster to pass inspection

My local enhanced inspection station had zero understanding of the scrub line. I called to ask them some questions and go a lot of umms and ahhs.
I was aware of the wiper requirement but not of the defroster. I must have missed that when I read the rules. I probably should read them again. Both rules are kind of pointless when you're only required to have a 7" tall window...
Jeff - Where are you at in PA? I'm in Indiana.

My local enhanced inspection station had zero understanding of the scrub line. I called to ask them some questions and go a lot of umms and ahhs.
I was aware of the wiper requirement but not of the defroster. I must have missed that when I read the rules. I probably should read them again. Both rules are kind of pointless when you're only required to have a 7" tall window...
Jeff - Where are you at in PA? I'm in Indiana.
I read some of the stories of the beotch in H-burgh that does titles and the defroster was one, I'm just gonna get a clip on that plugs into cigg. lighter, then toss in a box after inspection. The other thing that pisses me off is the 5" tread width front tire. I have heard that about a lot of enhanced stations, they don't do enough to know the rules. They take the pics and send in and Hitler in H Burgh rips you a new one. I downloaded the state inspection law and also subchapter K for street rods and will cite the regs in my "how I built it" essay that you also need for a title. I'm in Wellsboro, north central Pa. Or as y'all would say, The Sticks lol

Good thing I left my suspension adjustable. Lol. I have a few ways to lift the front and back quite a bit. i shouldn't run into any trouble but if I do, I'm prepared.
I will do the same with the defroster.
You're a hike from where I am. I've been through that area a few times.

I'm also not much of a fan of having to pay taxes or prove I already did on something I built with my own hands.

I figured for 15$, a clip on is better than a "try again" from Harrisburgh. I also read a guy was told to enclose his gas tank. I am building a bobtail with alum tank, I'll fight a beotch over that! The law says no lines or filler can pass thru the passenger compartment whether she likes it or not. I ain't going to like the tax man either, I'm trying to use all new and 99% is coming from out of state.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back